Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Pritam Baral

Default KDE and Graphics

I recently tried the Kubuntu Desktop (on both Natty and Maverick). Though the visuals in the plasma-desktop are really good, it seems to take up the graphics resources entirely for itself. Youtube videos play choppy, fullscreen transition is also a pain. When I play local videos in VLC, the frame-dropping and motion-blur occur. Though I like the Plasma visuals a lot, is there any way to drop some resource-hogging features temporaryly, (powersave doesn't free the graphics resources either). Or is it just my system configuration?

My configs:

i3-370m 2.4GHzATI MobilityRadeonHD 5470 (512mb)15" screen

Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 19:15 +0530, Pritam Baral wrote:
> I recently tried the Kubuntu Desktop (on both Natty and Maverick).
> Though the visuals in the plasma-desktop are really good, it seems to
> take up the graphics resources entirely for itself. Youtube videos
> play choppy, fullscreen transition is also a pain. When I play local
> videos in VLC, the frame-dropping and motion-blur occur. Though I like
> the Plasma visuals a lot, is there any way to drop some
> resource-hogging features temporaryly, (powersave doesn't free the
> graphics resources either). Or is it just my system configuration?

Probably best to just dump the visual effects. Ric

Linux user# 44256