Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM
NoOp

Default Multi-protocol IM client that allows for grouping of contacts by protocol

On 07/07/2011 03:31 PM, Avi wrote:
> Morning All,
>
> I'm actually asking this on behalf of someone else, but I've not found
> the answer myself so I'm hoping you can help.
>
> He's after a multi-protocol IM client where the contacts can be grouped
> by protocol or account. It seems like a fairly reasonable request, so
> I'm a bit perplexed that nobody else appears to have implemented it yet.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions? Feel free to ignore any other aspects
> of the client (general usability, supported protocols and OSs etc.) for
> now

Pidgin
But install from the ppa as the standard Ubuntu hasn't updated since 2.7.3:
http://pidgin.im/news/security/?id=52
http://pidgin.im/download/ubuntu/
https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive/ppa/

These might be of interest:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmpathyVsPidginUsability
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pidgin
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Empathy

Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Avi Greenbury

NoOp wrote:
> Pidgin
> But install from the ppa as the standard Ubuntu hasn't updated since

Thanks! I've got 2.9.0 from there, but I can't find where to group the
contacts by protocol; do I need a plugin of some sort?

--
Avi

Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Avi Greenbury

Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM
NoOp

On 07/12/2011 05:04 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Pidgin
>> But install from the ppa as the standard Ubuntu hasn't updated since
>
> Thanks! I've got 2.9.0 from there, but I can't find where to group the
> contacts by protocol; do I need a plugin of some sort?

The protocol will be indicated by an icon in the right side when you
open your contacts. Also will be shown when you use Accounts|Manage
Accounts. Also, when you add an account from the same you will see the
icons that are used for each type of account.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Avi

NoOp wrote:

> The protocol will be indicated by an icon in the right side when you
> open your contacts. Also will be shown when you use Accounts|Manage
> Accounts. Also, when you add an account from the same you will see the
> icons that are used for each type of account.

Yeah, most clients allow for showing which protocol is being used for
any given contact, but I'm specifically after one which allows for the
grouping of contacts by protocol, which pidgin appears to not do after
all.

--
Avi

Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 PM
NoOp

On 07/12/2011 12:14 PM, Avi wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> The protocol will be indicated by an icon in the right side when you
>> open your contacts. Also will be shown when you use Accounts|Manage
>> Accounts. Also, when you add an account from the same you will see the
>> icons that are used for each type of account.
>
> Yeah, most clients allow for showing which protocol is being used for
> any given contact, but I'm specifically after one which allows for the
> grouping of contacts by protocol, which pidgin appears to not do after
> all.

Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood.