Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Peng Yu

Default Maintaining all packages when reinstalling the ubuntu OS?

Hi,

I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
to keep track of all the additional packages installed. It is better
that this information is dumped into a file so that it can be read
some other command to easily reinstall all these packages. Is there
such commands for saving the packages info and reinstall the packages?

Peng

Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

You can use aptoncd to backup all packages that you have downloaded if they are still in /var/cache/apt/archive directory.

Another way you can use remastersys to make your current Ubuntu a new distro as an iso file, then install the new distro, you will found all the packages you have installed in your Ubuntu.

Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh
Follow Me Twiter

Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman

Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Avi

Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
> record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
> reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
> to keep track of all the additional packages installed. It is better
> that this information is dumped into a file so that it can be read
> some other command to easily reinstall all these packages. Is there
> such commands for saving the packages info and reinstall the packages?

dpkg --get-selections > somefile

on the current machine, and then

apt-get update
dpkg --set-selections < somefile
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

On the new machine. This wont transfer any configuration, though.

--
Avi

Old 07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Alan Pope

On 7 July 2011 17:32, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
> record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
> reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
> to keep track of all the additional packages installed.

dpkg --get-selections

Will list what you have installed.

Al.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Goh Lip

I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
to keep track of all the additional packages installed. It is better
that this information is dumped into a file so that it can be read
some other command to easily reinstall all these packages. Is there
such commands for saving the packages info and reinstall the packages?

To save the packages and have them installed without downloading again..

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
sudo cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb /<some_file>
cd /<that_file>
sudo dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz

Burn <that_file> to cdrom as data.
At new installation,
sudo apt-cdrom add

Then install any wanted packages as recorded down by Avi's method.

Regards - Goh Lip

ps: to keep conf files, put back any saved conf files in the relevent
places/paths.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Avi <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> dpkg --get-selections > somefile
>
> on the current machine, and then
>
> apt-get update
> dpkg --set-selections < somefile
> apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
>
> On the new machine. This wont transfer any configuration, though.

1. If you use "dpkg --get-selections > somefile", you have to use
"dpkg --clear-selections" before "dpkg --set-selections < somefile".

2. You can transfer the package configurations with
debconf-get-selections and debconf-set-selections.

3. You can also (and preferably) use "aptitude -F '%p' search
'?narrow(?installed,!?automatic')" rather than "dpkg --get-selections"
to get the list of installed packages because that'll preserve the
"~A" flag for the packages marked as installed automatically on the
original box.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Goh Lip

Sorry, burn the *contents* of <that_file> to cdrom as data.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 01:05 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 07/08/2011 12:32 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
> > record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
> > reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
> > to keep track of all the additional packages installed. It is better
> > that this information is dumped into a file so that it can be read
> > some other command to easily reinstall all these packages. Is there
> > such commands for saving the packages info and reinstall the packages?
> >

> To save the packages and have them installed without downloading again..
>

> sudo apt-get autoremove
> sudo apt-get autoclean
> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
> sudo cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb /<some_file>
> cd /<that_file>
> sudo dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz
>
> Burn <that_file> to cdrom as data.
> At new installation,
> sudo apt-cdrom add
>
> Then install any wanted packages as recorded down by Avi's method.
>
> Regards - Goh Lip
>
> ps: to keep conf files, put back any saved conf files in the relevent
> places/paths.

I'd be very careful with that last bit. With a major jump from 8.04 to
10.4 there is bound to be some conf files that should not be restored.
The trick would be which ones? It might be better to leave the new conf
files in place and use the old ones as a reference to edit the new ones
by. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Goh Lip