Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
David Vincent

Default Creative Live Pro webcam

Old 02-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Nils Kassube

David Vincent wrote:
> Then there's this page which says it works on Feisty and should work on
> later Ubuntus as long as you have the linux-headers installed. I do,
> it still doesn't work. And no /dev/video0 etc.

Well, installing the headers doesn't help identifying the device. But the
headers would be needed to compile a kernel module for the webcam.

> http://tonylog.altervista.org/2007/10/18/how-to-install-the-web-cam-cre
>ative-live-on-ubuntu-linux/
>
> Little help? (Tony's instructions are pretty...umm...slim on details.)

Then, maybe you should ask Tony about some more details and if his webcam
has the same USB ID like yours. Sometimes manufacturers change the
hardware without changing the product name.

Nils

Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Karl Larsen

David Vincent wrote:

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Thomas Kaiser

David Vincent wrote:

> Hi List.
>
> Can anyone offer advice on what to do to get this camera working? I
> think I actually have an unsupported device.
>
> lsusb says: 041e:4038 Creative Technology, Ltd
>
> Some googling says it is not supported by spca5xx. Like this page here:

> And it isn't on the list here:
>
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

If it is not in this list it wont work with gspca ;-(

> Then there's this page which says it works on Feisty and should work on
> later Ubuntus as long as you have the linux-headers installed. I do, it
> still doesn't work. And no /dev/video0 etc.

You need the linux-headers to compile the gspca from source, but this has
nothing to do with the cam. If the cam is supported by gspca and Ubuntu has an
older version of gspca in the dist, you have to get the source from the gspca
website and compile by your self, _then_ you need linux-headers.

> http://tonylog.altervista.org/2007/10/18/how-to-install-the-web-cam-creative-live-on-ubuntu-linux/
>
> Little help? (Tony's instructions are pretty...umm...slim on details.)
>

> Thanks!

We have to know what chipset your cam is using. There are a lot of Howto's,
forum post and mail archives around how you can find it out.

Usually, the Linux drivers (kernel modules) do not depend to a particular made
or model. They just support a certain chipset.
You can have the same cam from some companies with different chipset inside. The
cam looks the same as the cam you just bought 2 weeks ago, but the new cam does
not work (that's, how they make money. They just buy the cheapest chipset they
get. The Windoz customer does not recognize this, because the cam looks the same
and it works) .

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
David Vincent

Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
David Vincent

Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Thomas Kaiser

David Vincent wrote:
>> We have to know what chipset your cam is using. There are a lot of Howto's,
>> forum post and mail archives around how you can find it out.
>
> Ok, I'll start digging. Any pointers to save me time are welcome.

The easiest, just open the cam and look what is written on the chip inside ;-)
(You will loose warranty when you do this :-))
You can find some information in the .inf file from the Windoz driver. Hunt the
Windoz registry down can help sometime, too.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 PM
NoOp

On 02/13/2008 02:59 PM, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> David Vincent wrote:
>>> We have to know what chipset your cam is using. There are a lot of Howto's,
>>> forum post and mail archives around how you can find it out.
>>
>> Ok, I'll start digging. Any pointers to save me time are welcome.
>>

> The easiest, just open the cam and look what is written on the chip inside ;-)
> (You will loose warranty when you do this :-))
> You can find some information in the .inf file from the Windoz driver. Hunt the
> Windoz registry down can help sometime, too.
>
> Thomas

Perhaps:

<http://connect.creativelabs.com/opensource/Lists/Webcam%20Support/AllItems.aspx>
WebCam Live! VF0080 0x041e 0x4038 Might Work:
http://gkall.hobby.nl/sq930x.html

Might be of some use? No, idea if it will, I just recall seeing that
creative page previously and had another look to see if 041e:4038 was
listed.

Regarding these windows working webcams... is there perhaps a way to use
them via Wine or with something like an ndiswrapper that is used for
windows nic cards etc?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 AM
David Vincent

Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
"geoffrey froner"

What application are you using to interface?* Camorama?

Zeno