Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Joseph Loo

Default Some hard disk is reporting health problems. Now what?

On 07/06/2011 07:48 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

Running Natty desktop, using it partly as a server, with a lot of disks
(10-12, depending) and even more partitions,
I am for the first time seeing this dialog box: "Hard Disk Problems
Detected. A hard disk is reporting health problems. "
The "Examine" button takes me to a window showing all disks and
partitions, but I don't see any way to determine
which is the one failing. (I'm kind of hoping it's my main disk, which
is really a hardware RAID mirror set).

I could use pointers to troubleshooting.
/var/log/kern.log has nothing but successes. No joy in
/var/log/dmesg, or /var/log/syslog either.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

I personally would run spinrite from grc.com. You have enough drives to
make it worthwhile. It will try to clean the disk up and will extend the
life. I suspect the error is caused by a CRC error and it exceeded the
amount of re-tries allowed by the system.

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org

Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

[...]

Disk Utility has narrowed it down to one drive, a 2TB Hitachi 7200 RPM that I run in an external dock.* It shows over 1300 reassigned bad blocks, and a few hundred more "queued" (it's offline at the moment, but I think that's what it said.)* It assesses the drive as "failing" and I can't blame it.

I'm just going to get my data if I can.

The first thing I want to do is verify one of my other large drives as being fully readable. There's some question about this because I have been unable to dd(1) it to /dev/null in a 36-hour attempt.* It looks like I'm really in for it with my drives, and I don't want to make any changes on a bad drive, just copy what I can and replace them.

I may also be looking into better drive docks.* Right now I'm using the cheapest thing I can find: Kingwin EZ-dock (gives choice of eSATA or USB 2.0.,* but there are now docks that go to USB 3.0, and I think that will be a better choice all around.* Anybody with knowledge of SATA drive docks is welcome to contribute wisdom / knowledge.

I'm expecting to get green drives so I don't have to worry about heat so much -- these drives are mostly used for backups and repositories for results; their speed won't affect much.* That Hitachi is the fastest drive I have, which is maybe the problem.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Smokin Chevy

If you want to check the health of the drive, I'd pull it and put it
on another box in non raid and run MHDD on it. You can look at the
S.M.A.R.T data as well as scan sector by sector for latency or
failure. As far as your failing drive, I would evaluate the
importance of the data at this time. If it is critical, I would not
spin that drive one more time and have it to a data recovery tech. If
it is not all that important, I would have another machine and drive
ready. Attach your failing drive to the secondary machine and bit
clone the drive off...Trusting that it will still initialise.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

>I am for the first time seeing this dialog box: "Hard Disk

>Problems Detected. A hard disk is reporting health problems. "
*

Do you use Gnome or Unity? If so, run the gnome Disk Utility, select the drive(s) and click the SMART Data button. It should show the health of the drive, and indicate any reallocated sectors, or pending sectors.

Old hardware; natty runs gnome. Ah, great little "Disk Utility" utility.* There's one 2 TB SATA drive involved.* I see that there are 1300+ sectors that have been remapped, and 693 are waiting their turn.** Disk utility counts these problems as "failing" and "warning" respectively.* This is one of my few non-green drives, and I'd bet its own heat got to it.* There's some chance all my data is still good.* We'll see as I try backing up (once it has cooled down -- right now I could fry stuff on it.)

I can see why trying to create a large tar file on this drive has become difficult.

Thanks...

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD