Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Some hard disk is reporting health problems. Now what?

Running Natty desktop, using it partly as a server, with a lot of disks (10-12, depending) and even more partitions,
I am for the first time seeing this dialog box: "Hard Disk Problems Detected. A hard disk is reporting health problems. "

The "Examine" button takes me to a window showing all disks and partitions, but I don't see any way to determine
which is the one failing.* (I'm kind of hoping it's my main disk, which is really a hardware RAID mirror set).

I could use pointers to troubleshooting.*
* /var/log/kern.log has nothing but successes.* No joy in /var/log/dmesg, or /var/log/syslog either.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Avi

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> (I'm kind of hoping it's my main disk, which is really a hardware
> RAID mirror set).

I've never used the graphical disk thingy, but I'm guessing it uses
SMART, which is genuinely per-device, not per-RAID array.

> I could use pointers to troubleshooting.
> /var/log/kern.log has nothing but successes. No joy
> in /var/log/dmesg, or /var/log/syslog either.

If it is indeed SMART, and is actually smartd, the SMART daemon, it logs
to /var/log/messages by default.

--
Avi

Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Avi

Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
"compdoc"

>I am for the first time seeing this dialog box: "Hard Disk
>Problems Detected. A hard disk is reporting health problems. "
*
Do you use Gnome or Unity? If so, run the gnome Disk Utility, select the drive(s) and click the SMART Data button. It should show the health of the drive, and indicate any reallocated sectors, or pending sectors.
*
If you don’t use a desktop gui, you can use smartctl which is part of smartmontools, to do the same thing from the command line…
*
*

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Avi <lists@avi.co> wrote:

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> (I'm kind of hoping it's my main disk, which is really a hardware

> RAID mirror set).

I've never used the graphical disk thingy, but I'm guessing it uses

SMART, which is genuinely per-device, not per-RAID array.

> I could use pointers to troubleshooting.

> * /var/log/kern.log has nothing but successes. *No joy

> in /var/log/dmesg, or /var/log/syslog either.

If it is indeed SMART, and is actually smartd, the SMART daemon, it logs

to /var/log/messages by default.

My system has no such file, nor is there a process running called "smartd".

--

Avi

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Avi <lists@avi.co> wrote:
>>
>> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> > (I'm kind of hoping it's my main disk, which is really a hardware
>> > RAID mirror set).
>>
>> I've never used the graphical disk thingy, but I'm guessing it uses
>> SMART, which is genuinely per-device, not per-RAID array.
>>
>> > I could use pointers to troubleshooting.
>> > * /var/log/kern.log has nothing but successes. *No joy
>> > in /var/log/dmesg, or /var/log/syslog either.
>>
>> If it is indeed SMART, and is actually smartd, the SMART daemon, it logs
>> to /var/log/messages by default.
>>
> My system has no such file, nor is there a process running called "smartd".

Perhaps you could try smartmontools

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki

L.

--