Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Navdeep Singh Sidhu

Default Need Support For Latest Hardware?

As i wrote my problem some weeks ago, that Fedora 15 or any other linux version didn't run on my Laptop.I got two problems:-
1. My screen goes Black on booting Linux.
2.I got Intel error with following message

*> - Dropping to debug shell.

*> sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

*> dracut:/#

*>

*I can run any game or softwares on my system using windows. I'm possessed with Linux,but i can't use Linux on my system.
*I
have contacted Dell technical support for help regarding this problem.
They told me that there will be no option in BIOS to disable one of my
graphics card. So the problem remains same. They told me that nVIDIA is
primary graphics card in my laptop & Intel HD3000 is secondary
graphics card. And also as i'm using i-7 processor that support's some
kind of architecture that has to use both of graphics card & i can't
disable any of them. in short, they said that my laptop's hardware
architecture supports only both card option & i can't disable any of
them. But i don't believe them, there is no such architecture in which
we can't disable one of the graphics card. Hardware manu. companies
designs motherboard in such way that if one of graphics card fails (like
let nVidia fails in most of the cases)then automatically it switches to
inbuilt VGA (Intel HD 3000) or secondry vga. I'm not sure about my
statement but i think so.

But if they are true, then this means any of linux distro can't
support my hardware. So we have to design such kernel that supports all
the hardwares & architectures. Can we design this kind of kernel? it
doesn't matters what the problem is, may be it is nvidia's optimus
drivers that they have not given to add in Linux kernel or any
architecture problem that is not supported by Linux. the main thing is
that Linux Doesn't have solution for both problem. It applies to all
Distros. So can open source programmers design such kernel or not ? Or i
haave to wait for next 10 years to use Linux on my Laptop.

Regards,
Navdeep Singh

Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Genes MailLists