Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Pierre Meurisse

Default upgrade with aptitude ?

Hi !

I'm managing 12 machines in a school, with ubuntu 10.10. I have to upgrade to
11.04.

I would like to know if I can do that with aptitude from my home (I have
ssh-access to every machine). I would replace every occurence of
'maverick' with 'natty' in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then run aptitude.

Does it work if I do that ?

Regards.

--
Pierre Meurisse

Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Tony Arnold

Pierre,

On 05/07/11 09:10, Pierre Meurisse wrote:

> I'm managing 12 machines in a school, with ubuntu 10.10. I have to upgrade to
> 11.04.
>
> I would like to know if I can do that with aptitude from my home (I have
> ssh-access to every machine). I would replace every occurence of
> 'maverick' with 'natty' in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then run aptitude.

The command do-release-upgrade is designed to do exactly what you want!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security, Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082

Old 07-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Alan Pope

On 5 July 2011 09:10, Pierre Meurisse <pierre.meurisse@laposte.net> wrote:
> I'm managing 12 machines in a school, with ubuntu 10.10. I have to upgrade to
> 11.04.

Have you tested the upgrade on one of them first?

> I would like to know if I can do that with aptitude from my home (I have
> ssh-access to every machine). *I would replace every occurence of
> 'maverick' with 'natty' in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then run aptitude.
>
> Does it work if I do that ?

It will work but it's not the recommended way.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/upgrade
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes#From%2010.10%20to%2011.04
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades#Network%20Upgrade%20for%20Ubuntu%20S ervers%20(Recommended)

Al.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:10 AM, Pierre Meurisse
<pierre.meurisse@laposte.net> wrote:

> I'm managing 12 machines in a school, with ubuntu 10.10. I have to upgrade to
> 11.04.
>
> I would like to know if I can do that with aptitude from my home (I have
> ssh-access to every machine). *I would replace every occurence of
> 'maverick' with 'natty' in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then run aptitude.
>
> Does it work if I do that ?

It does but I wouldn't just change sources.list but adapt the Debian
upgrade procedure to your case, even though an upgrade from 10.10 to
11.04 isn't as involved as an upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/index.en.html

A simpler way would be to use an Ubuntu tool, do-release-upgrade,
that's installed through update-manager-core.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Pierre Meurisse

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:10:18AM +0200, Pierre Meurisse wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm managing 12 machines in a school, with ubuntu 10.10. I have to upgrade to
> 11.04.

I tried do-release-upgrade ; it works all right.
I'll do it on every machine.

Thanks to all.

--
Pierre Meurisse