Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Acceptable format for posts to this list

I just noticed - after all this time! :-( - that what I posted came back
to me in the same format as when I sent it - that is, it was in HTML
format. And I did send the message in HTML.

Other lists I belong to reject any posts in HTML format and will only
accept posts in text format only.

Does ubuntu-users naturally accept messages in HTML format or was this
simply a temporary hiccup in the list server's settings?

(In any case, I have altered TB to send future posts to this list in
text format only, but I would still like to know the answer to the
question - if anyone knows what that may be, that is.)

BC

--
God must love crazy people. He keeps making so many of them.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 AM
chris

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 18:13 +1000, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 16:54 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > I just noticed - after all this time! :-( - that what I posted came back
> > to me in the same format as when I sent it - that is, it was in HTML
> > format. And I did send the message in HTML.
>
> Um...can't you set TBird to just view as text as opposed to view in
> HTML? And as well, jeepers, can't you use procmail to strip the HTML (or
> whatever internal mail package you're using)? Or possibly, the list
> servers are running MS Exchange and HTML is acceptable to them? I still
> reckon it's aliens, sun spots and Ric.
>
> --
> yankdownunder
> reg'd linux user #267497
> --------------------------------------
> Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.
> --------------------------------------
> I run linux, now go STFU.

I would agree that it is ric.
The kiwi

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Stephen Kuhn

Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> I just noticed - after all this time! :-( - that what I posted came
> back to me in the same format as when I sent it - that is, it was
> in HTML format. And I did send the message in HTML.
>
> Other lists I belong to reject any posts in HTML format and will only
> accept posts in text format only.
>
> Does ubuntu-users naturally accept messages in HTML format or was
> this simply a temporary hiccup in the list server's settings?

It isn't prohibited to send HTML mails here. From
<http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists>:

| HTML mail
|
| Avoid sending emails in HTML format, if possible. Some people may find
| it more difficult to read or reply to these emails. Also, HTML email
| takes up more space, so people with restricted Internet access will be
| happier to receive plain text emails.

While some members of this list complain(ed) about any HTML contents, I
simply don't care if there is at least a text version included. If it is
HTML only, I ignore those mails.

> (In any case, I have altered TB to send future posts to this list in
> text format only,

Thank you.

Nils

Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/05/2011 01:54 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> I just noticed - after all this time! :-( - that what I posted came back
> to me in the same format as when I sent it - that is, it was in HTML
> format. And I did send the message in HTML.
>
> Other lists I belong to reject any posts in HTML format and will only
> accept posts in text format only.
>
> Does ubuntu-users naturally accept messages in HTML format or was this
> simply a temporary hiccup in the list server's settings?
>
> (In any case, I have altered TB to send future posts to this list in
> text format only, but I would still like to know the answer to the
> question - if anyone knows what that may be, that is.)

I don't see HTML or flowed text anyways. Thunderbird removes everything
and anything flowed and HTML and turns it all into text email, gotta
love good old Thunderbird.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Goh Lip

I don't see HTML or flowed text anyways. Thunderbird removes everything
and anything flowed and HTML and turns it all into text email, gotta
love good old Thunderbird.

+1, and after setting 'sending no-html' and you want to write in html,
to say another person not this list, press 'shift' and the 'reply'
button (and vice versa).

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
ANDY