Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Knute Johnson

Default Help I deleted my cron.daily files

I did a stupid thing and deleted my cron.daily files. Does anybody know
where they come from so I can recreate them?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Alan Pope

On 4 July 2011 22:12, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> I did a stupid thing and deleted my cron.daily files. *Does anybody know
> where they come from so I can recreate them?

Not from one package unfortunately.

e.g /etc/cron.daily/dpkg comes from the dpkg package and
/etc/cron.daily/mlocate comes from the mlocate package.

My natty desktop install has these, fwiw:-

alan@wopr:/etc/cron.daily$ ls
0anacron aptitude google-chrome man-db passwd
apport bsdmainutils google-talkplugin mdadm popularity-contest
apt dpkg logrotate mlocate standard

Cheers,
Al.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 PM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 14:12 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I did a stupid thing and deleted my cron.daily files. Does anybody know
> where they come from so I can recreate them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Knute Johnson

This of course is a case of "shutting the stable door after the horse
has bolted" but may I respectfully suggest that in future your system
backup script includes something like

rsync -av --delete /etc/ /home/dave/backups/copyoflocalslashetc/

before running the tar command to create a backup archive?

Dave

Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
PleegWat