Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Richard Owlett

Default Restating/Rephrasing the question - was

Ric Moore wrote:

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 22:18 +0300, Janne Jokitalo wrote:

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 01:52:52PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

Not sure what page I looked at as to derivation ;<
50 MB still not "small" :/

I really don't know how you can say that. Perhaps you are looking for some truly
stripped-down system, but I don't think any distro does what you ask
out-of-the-box. For instance, my ubuntu with just one kernel installed, has
this:

jaska@lagavulin:~$ du -hs /boot/
23M /boot/

That's only what one kernel requires, plus memtest86+ and the grub files.

DSL is pretty small, for a modern linux distribution.

If the OP is looking to use Linux for controlling devices then there are
specialized machine tooling distros. Back when the only money maker at
Red Hat was some little outfit in California they bought that had a VERY
small Linux distro designed for industrial controls for tooling/
industrial robots. I forget the name. It was just a specialized kernel,
with some basic I/O compiled into it and a minimal editor to program the
controls. They made it open-source and it became widely popular. Ric

First I would like say thank-you for the ~70 replies received.

Though I haven't been involved with controls &/or embedded
systems since the early 80's, they do have something in common
with how I work and think {single user, single task}. My current
project is being built in Tcl/Tk. I find tclsh much more natural
than wish - the event driven model drives me @@@ ;/

As to being decades behind the times, might not an Advance-Rumely
be more suitable than an Astin Martin ;}

More seriously - system is 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Pentium with 3 GB
memory and ~300 GB of hard disk etc.

looking for bare bones system (possibly CLI) and then use apt-get
(correct term?) to fetch ONLY desired programs and dependencies

CD is "bloated" because it automatically wants to install "every
thing including kitchen sink". I understand it can be trimmed
later - but's not elegant.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Hal Burgiss

> looking for bare bones system (possibly CLI) and then use apt-get (correct term?) to fetch ONLY desired programs and dependencies

> CD is "bloated" because it automatically wants to install "every thing including kitchen sink". I understand it can be trimmed later - but's not elegant.

I have only read a portion of the thread, but a server install can be done without the gui cruft.* Pure cli. There is still going to be kernel bloat, but post install, you can hand roll your own, and dump the stock one. If you want.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Avi

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> I have only read a portion of the thread, but a server install can be
> done without the gui cruft. Pure cli. There is still going to be
> kernel bloat, but post install, you can hand roll your own, and dump
> the stock one. If you want.

There is a good amount of the system that is neither part of a GUI nor
the kernel. If he's aiming for an ultimately-pared-down OS I don't
think the server install is particularly a better place to start than a
normal Ubuntu install.

Either way, dpkg/apt* has something of a reputation for pulling in more
than is necessary in the name of ease of administration. There are
other distros that allow for (and require) greater control over the
software, as have been mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

--
Avi