Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Leandro Andrade Faria

Default Support shortbacks in Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bits)

For the driver development team in Ubuntu distribution and the members of brazillian Ubuntu Council,
Dear friends, my name is Leandro Faria, I'm brazillian and currently living in Passos, state of Minas Gerais, Brazil. I'm writting to you now in order to comunicate one aspect of Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bits) OS that need improvements. I just bought a new laptop from Positivo, which is the main desktop, laptop and tablet manufacturer in Brazil, a company present in all Latin America. This group sells equipments under two different brands: Positivo and Sim+. Millions of machines every fiscal year. As a costumer, I replaced the original Mandriva 2010.2 distro in my laptop for the current Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bits). Unfortunately, the webcam that was working properly along Mandriva is not supported in Ubuntu. As a result, I'll be forced to install either another Linux distro or Windows to have my equipment fully working. This letter is just to inform you that if my equipment was fully supported by the Ubuntu built-in drivers, then I wouldn't remove Ubuntu at all. Once the Ubuntu developers and Canonical have the goal of reaching 200 million users in the next couple of years, I think that it would be nice to recognize that the Positivo equipments should be a priority as well, just as it happens with Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. Many of this new Ubuntu users might come from developing countries, specially Brazil. I ask you to thighten relations with Positivo equipments sure that once this is done many brazillian PC users would migrate to Ubuntu. Should I expect that the next version Ubuntu, the 11.10 edition, will have a better support for this manufacturer's machines? (special attention to webcam is necessary)*

Please, accept my humble apologies for all the mistakes I've surely commited while writting this email in english.
Thanks in advance for the attention,

--
Leandro Faria
+55 35.8817.4536 (cell)+55 35.3522.7576 (business)

Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Liam Proven

On 29 June 2011 20:00, Leandro Andrade Faria <lafaria@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the driver development team in Ubuntu distribution and the members of
> brazillian Ubuntu Council,
> Dear friends, my name is Leandro Faria, I'm brazillian and currently living
> in Passos, state of Minas Gerais, Brazil. I'm writting to you now in order
> to comunicate one aspect of Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bits) OS that need
> improvements. I just bought a new laptop from Positivo, which is the main
> desktop, laptop and tablet manufacturer in Brazil, a company present in all
> Latin America. This group sells equipments under two different brands:
> Positivo and Sim+. Millions of machines every fiscal year. As a costumer, I
> replaced the original Mandriva 2010.2 distro in my laptop for the current
> Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bits). Unfortunately, the webcam that was working properly
> along Mandriva is not supported in Ubuntu. As a result, I'll be forced to
> install either another Linux distro or Windows to have my equipment fully
> working. This letter is just to inform you that if my equipment was fully
> supported by the Ubuntu built-in drivers, then I wouldn't remove Ubuntu at
> all. Once the Ubuntu developers and Canonical have the goal of reaching 200
> million users in the next couple of years, I think that it would be nice to
> recognize that the Positivo equipments should be a priority as well, just as
> it happens with Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. Many of this new Ubuntu users might
> come from developing countries, specially Brazil. I ask you to thighten
> relations with Positivo equipments sure that once this is done many
> brazillian PC users would migrate to Ubuntu. Should I expect that the next
> version Ubuntu, the 11.10 edition, will have a better support for this
> manufacturer's machines? (special attention to webcam is necessary)
> Please, accept my humble apologies for all the mistakes I've surely commited
> while writting this email in english.
> Thanks in advance for the attention,

The body of the email is fine - don't worry, your English is excellent.

But what is a "shortback"?

Also, if you could tell us the make/model of your webcam - just the
cam, not the laptop - someone may be able to point you at a driver.