Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Eero Volotinen

Default Passwords and Encryption Keys

2011/7/4 Jose Diaz <jose.dbardales@gmail.com>:
> Hi everyone! a few months ago I finally had the time to learned the
> how-to signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. I have been using Ubuntu for 3
> years now, but I'm not very knowledgeable person when it comes to
> signatures and encryption of emails.
>
> Anyways, I created a PGP Key, sync my key to the Ubuntu key server and
> proceeded to signed the CoC. A few weeks later I decided to jump from
> Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 so I did a backup of my home directory =) and a
> clean installed of Ubuntu.
>
> Now, How do I get my private key back? If I understand correctly PGP
> uses a private and public key. Is my private key somewhere in my backup?

Your gpg keys are stored in keyring, I think default location is
~/.gnupg . just restore it from backups.

--
Eero

Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Jose Diaz

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 08:33 +0300, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2011/7/4 Jose Diaz <jose.dbardales@gmail.com>:
> > Hi everyone! a few months ago I finally had the time to learned the
> > how-to signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. I have been using Ubuntu for 3
> > years now, but I'm not very knowledgeable person when it comes to
> > signatures and encryption of emails.
> >
> > Anyways, I created a PGP Key, sync my key to the Ubuntu key server and
> > proceeded to signed the CoC. A few weeks later I decided to jump from
> > Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 so I did a backup of my home directory =) and a
> > clean installed of Ubuntu.
> >
> > Now, How do I get my private key back? If I understand correctly PGP
> > uses a private and public key. Is my private key somewhere in my backup?
>
> Your gpg keys are stored in keyring, I think default location is
> ~/.gnupg . just restore it from backups.
>
> --
> Eero

Eero Volotinen!

I got my private key back, thank you very much.

By the way inside /~.gnupg there is another file called random_seed. Out
of curiosity, what does this file do?

Thanks again!