Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 PM
AV3

Default (OT) Deja Vu all over again!

On Jul/3/2011 11:1823 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 3 July 2011 16:04, AV3<arvimide@earthlink.net> wrote:

On Jul/3/2011 9:3642 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 July 2011 20:05, Ric Moore<wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 10:58 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 July 2011 03:34, Ric Moore<wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 13:12 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

On 1 July 2011 12:57, Ben Darby<bendarb@gmail.com> wrote:

* Liam Proven (lproven@gmail.com) wrote:

On 1 July 2011 07:31, Jordon Bedwell<jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

On 07/01/2011 01:23 AM, Ric Moore wrote:

Heh, I certainly believe in acupuncture and bee stings for relief
for
arthritis, as they have worked for me. Millions of others do
too... but
they're all just ~gullible~ Chinese, who will shortly own us all.

We agree then. Whatever one perceives is one's reality. Ric

What?

No. Absolutely not. There is only 1 reality& perceptions or beliefs
do not affect it in any way.

Ric is right. Whether there is one or more "realities," we only perceive it
with human senses, so perception is as close as we can get to it. Consider
the visible spectrum of light. It is a tiny fraction of a much larger
spectrum. Just to perceive that larger spectrum directly we would have to
perceive trillions of colors as intensely as those "seven" in the visible
spectrum. Even "pictures" in the nearby infrared are translated into colors
we can perceive. We do have a sense of touch sensible to heat, but it is
crude compared to the extension of vision into the infrared which some
insects and birds have.

Indeed; that is the nature of the universe - emphasis on the "uni-" -
that we inhabit. How do we know of this imperceptible spectrum and so
on? Via science and scientific instruments.

Bees see in UV, some snakes in infrared; electric eels in
electromagnetic currents and bats and cetaceans in sonar. We still all
share the same reality. The means of perception thereof do not alter
it.

The nature of "one reality" is a matter of metaphysics and theology.
Physics and science measure what we are capable of perceiving and
imagining within our puny limits. Ultimate reality is so far beyond us
that it is a matter of faith, beyond our perceptors and imagination.

The Ptolemaic universe served the needs of natural philosophers for a
thousand years. I suppose a hundred years from now the perception of
what surrounds us will make our ideas seem as quaint as Ptolemy is to
us. But science is just a continually receding refinement of perception
and interpretation. I think the half-life of human knowledge is less
than a hundred years. Today we only have an infinitessimal advantage
over Ptolemy, nothing like a near approach to "one reality."

I'm all for science, but I know it is human, all too human.

--
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ@Wearthlink.net> ||