Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Jordon Bedwell

Default HD permissions stay put

On 03/07/11 10:49, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
> I have a multiple boot internal drive (different linux
> flavors)(excluding windows).
> Have a external usb drive for backup between these different systems.
> Now booting in a different flavor the permissions change to numbers.
> My normal permission is johan johan. I am the only user at home.
> It is auto boot if from boot or later.
> Now as root I change the owner and group -R.
> This is annoying . Is there a way to make it stick please.

Grab the UID and GID from the master machine and port them to the others
Example ->

Machine 1:
cat /etc/passwd |grep ^johan

Grab the UID and the GID (assuming they are possibly different)
Example output: johan:x:1000:1000:Johan,,,:/home/johan:/bin/bash
1000 is the number you want to grab, the second 1000 is the GID

Machine 2:
usermod -u [UID] johan
groupmod -g [GID] johan