Old 07-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Verde Denim

Default Assurance of repositories

The big question - how can we know that repository addition requests are not wolves-in-waiting?

I went looking for the 64bit flash plugin for 11.04 64 bit this morning, and found various sites that ask to add ppt's to my sources that I'm a bit unsure of. A few of these links say to add -

"ppa:sevenmachines/flash' to apt/sources... Does anyone know of the validity of this repo?

Thanks as always, for the input

Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Avi

Verde Denim wrote:

> The big question - how can we know that repository addition requests
> are not wolves-in-waiting?

Well, the same way as you do with any other source of software. Some
mix of the reputation of whoever is publishing it, accounts from people
using it and whatever testing you yourself can do.

What's wrong with the flashplugin-installer package in the standard
repos?

--
Avi

Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Verde Denim

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Avi <lists@avi.co> wrote:

Verde Denim wrote:

> The big question - how can we know that repository addition requests

> are not wolves-in-waiting?

Well, the same way as you do with any other source of software. Some

mix of the reputation of whoever is publishing it, accounts from people

using it and whatever testing you yourself can do.
*
Cool - so the original question - "Does anyone know of the validity of this repo?" is a good one which fits in with the statements here.

Also, a little more googling and I find that sevensystems is a launchpad site, so it could be (at least peripherally) be considered to be known-good.

What's wrong with the flashplugin-installer package in the standard

repos?
Checking the repo version, it is the stable release but is 32-bit. The latest version from Adobe ('square') has native 64 bit support, although it is marked as 'bleeding edge'. So far, though, it seems to be working well.

*

Old 07-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 03/07/11 18:15, Verde Denim wrote:
> Checking the repo version, it is the stable release but is 32-bit. The latest
> version from Adobe ('square') has native 64 bit support, although it is marked
> as 'bleeding edge'. So far, though, it seems to be working well.

That version is considered far outdated and last I checked nobody has
validated whether or not the x64 version is invulnerable to the recent
CVE's against Flash, there are a couple which are quite notable.

That is why I went from having flash x64 to having no Flash at all on my
computer (because most of the sites I visit have caught onto HTML5 video)