Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default Laptop processor.

Good day,

Looking to buy a new laptop. This does not happen often. 2 laptops in 10
yrs.

Say processor speed about 2 gig. There is a lot of variations.

Version i3 or i5 or i7.

Now there is AMD and Intel.

Would like to buy the best for my budget.

Kindly some pointers please.

Thanks
Johan S

Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

On 07/03/2011 02:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Looking to buy a new laptop. This does not happen often. 2 laptops in 10
> yrs.
>
> Say processor speed about 2 gig. There is a lot of variations.
>
> Version i3 or i5 or i7.
>
> Now there is AMD and Intel.
>
> Would like to buy the best for my budget.
>
> Kindly some pointers please.
>
> Thanks
> Johan S

How much is your budget? Roughly?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Avi

It would make a lot more sense for you to summarise all your particular
requirements in one thread than create a new one for each component.
With your apparent trend of creating a new thread for each component
about which you have questions you stand a reasonable chance of just
ending up with a list of sort-of desirable components, but no actual
suggestion of a laptop to go and buy, which isn't as useful as it might
be given that most laptops aren't custom-specced.

--
Avi

Old 07-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

On 07/03/2011 02:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Looking to buy a new laptop. This does not happen often. 2 laptops in 10
> yrs.
>
> Say processor speed about 2 gig. There is a lot of variations.
>
> Version i3 or i5 or i7.
>
> Now there is AMD and Intel.
>
> Would like to buy the best for my budget.
>
> Kindly some pointers please.
>
> Thanks
> Johan S

Also, what are you looking to use it for? Do you need anything specific
or just a general-purpose machine?

Old 07-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Johan Scheepers

On 03/07/2011 14:51, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> On 07/03/2011 02:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> Looking to buy a new laptop. This does not happen often. 2 laptops in 10
>> yrs.
>>
>> Say processor speed about 2 gig. There is a lot of variations.
>>
>> Version i3 or i5 or i7.
>>
>> Now there is AMD and Intel.
>>
>> Would like to buy the best for my budget.
>>
>> Kindly some pointers please.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Johan S
>>

> How much is your budget? Roughly?
South Africa R10000....

Old 07-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Johan Scheepers

On 03/07/2011 14:58, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> On 07/03/2011 02:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> Looking to buy a new laptop. This does not happen often. 2 laptops in 10
>> yrs.
>>
>> Say processor speed about 2 gig. There is a lot of variations.
>>
>> Version i3 or i5 or i7.
>>
>> Now there is AMD and Intel.
>>
>> Would like to buy the best for my budget.
>>
>> Kindly some pointers please.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Johan S
>>

> Also, what are you looking to use it for? Do you need anything specific
> or just a general-purpose machine?
Home use no games

Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Javier Perez

USD $1,400s . You could practically purchase anything.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:

On 03/07/2011 14:58, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> On 07/03/2011 02:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:

>> Good day,

>> Looking to buy a new laptop. This does not happen often. 2 laptops in 10

>> yrs.

>> Say processor speed about 2 gig. There is a lot of variations.

>> Version i3 *or *i5 *or *i7.

>> Now there is *AMD *and *Intel.

>> Would like to buy the best for my budget.

>> Kindly some pointers please.

>> Thanks

>> Johan S

> Also, what are you looking to use it for? Do you need anything specific

> or just a general-purpose machine?

Home use no games

------------------------------
*/\_/**
*|O O|* pepebuho@gmail.com
*~~~~ * * Javier Perez
*~~~~* * * * * While the night runs

*~~~~* * * * * toward the day...
* m m** * * Pepebuho watches
* * * * * ** ** from his high perch.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

wrote:

> On 07/03/2011 02:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:

>> Good day,

>> Looking to buy a new laptop. This does not happen
often. 2 laptops in 10

>> yrs.

>> Say processor speed about 2 gig. There is a lot of
variations.

>> Version i3 *or *i5 *or *i7.

>> Now there is *AMD *and *Intel.

>> Would like to buy the best for my budget.

>> Kindly some pointers please.

>> Thanks

>> Johan S

> Also, what are you looking to use it for? Do you need
anything specific

> or just a general-purpose machine?

Home use no games

------------------------------

*/\_/**

*|O O|* pepebuho@gmail.com

*~~~~ * * Javier Perez

*~~~~* * * * * While the night runs

*~~~~* * * * * toward the day...

* m m** * * Pepebuho watches

* * * * * ** ** from his high perch.

Since you are looking for a general purpose machine, and have a
pretty good budget, I would recommend you take a close look at HPs
ProBook series. This is what I am using, and I am very pleased with
both the performance and the ergonomics of the machine itself (very
comfortable keyboard to work with).

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Johan Scheepers

On 03/07/2011 21:14, Wesley Werner wrote:
> Good eve
>
> Find out what your options re graphics, get make and models, search on
> the forums to see the success rates of those models.
>
> Nvidia provide drivers on their site (albeit still proprietary) and
> just now I see AMD have some open source initiative too.
>
> So follow your budget, lookup matching stories online, until you find
> a nice balance of hardware, budget and success rate.

Thanks to all that responded.
I will test drive with live cd's at the shops.
Johan S