Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default Laptop Graphics

Good day,

Looking around to buy a new laptop.

Now I see some conflicting opinions on the lists between Nvidia and ATI.

Will be using Fedora and Ubuntu latest versions.

Now I am confused.

Kindly some advice please.
Thanks.
Johan S

Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

On 07/03/2011 02:49 PM, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Looking around to buy a new laptop.
>
> Now I see some conflicting opinions on the lists between Nvidia and ATI.
>
> Will be using Fedora and Ubuntu latest versions.
>
> Now I am confused.
>
> Kindly some advice please.
> Thanks.
> Johan S

There are other options too - I have an Intel 4500HD chip in my machine
(HP ProBook 4510s), which works very nicely. It might not deliver if you
want to run games, but since you were looking for something on budget,
it works just fine.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Johan Scheepers wrote:

> Looking around to buy a new laptop.

I like Intel.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Joe Zeff

On 07/03/2011 10:46 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Johan Scheepers wrote:
>
>> Looking around to buy a new laptop.
>
> I like Intel.

That's what I have on the laptop I'm using right now. It has the
advantage that you don't have to worry about binary blob drivers, like
you do with ATI and nVidida.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Roger

On 04/07/11 04:13, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 07/03/2011 10:46 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
>> Johan Scheepers wrote:
>>
>>> Looking around to buy a new laptop.
>> I like Intel.
>>
> That's what I have on the laptop I'm using right now. It has the
> advantage that you don't have to worry about binary blob drivers, like
> you do with ATI and nVidida.
My daughters both use Dell laptops with ubuntu11.04 / nvidia and have
great results
One does fairly intensive Blender 3D with her students
Roger

Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Joe Zeff

On 07/03/2011 06:27 PM, Roger wrote:
> My daughters both use Dell laptops with ubuntu11.04 / nvidia and have
> great results
> One does fairly intensive Blender 3D with her students
> Roger

Ubuntu installs the proprietary drivers for you and takes care of
reinstalling them every time the kernel's updated. Fedora doesn't.
With nVidia, either you go the kmod/akmod route or try to remember to
reinstall the drivers yourself. Having OSS drivers that actually work
is a case of KISS.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Johan Scheepers

On 03/07/2011 19:46, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Johan Scheepers wrote:
>
>> Looking around to buy a new laptop.
> I like Intel.

Thanks to all that responded.
Will take my latest live cd's to the shop and try them out
Johan S

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Alan Cox

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 11:13:57 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 07/03/2011 10:46 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> > Johan Scheepers wrote:
> >
> >> Looking around to buy a new laptop.
> >
> > I like Intel.
> >

> That's what I have on the laptop I'm using right now. It has the
> advantage that you don't have to worry about binary blob drivers, like
> you do with ATI and nVidida.

Well to be fair (and I have an Intel work hat) a lot of the ATI stuff is
now well supported without binary blobs.

Also on the Intel side one or two chips generally meant for
tablets/small devices are basically not useful in Linux as the graphics
on the chip is non Intel, notably GMA500 (Poulsbo), GMA600, 'Oaktrail'.
The staging driver provides 2D mode setting for these but thats all, and
most of those don't even have 2D acceleration. These turn up in the odd
netbook so for netbook form factor its worth checking what you get before
buying.

The "normal" Intel graphics based hardware found in laptops and desktops
should work wonderfully, although you'll need a pretty current
distribution for the very latest chipsets.

Alan