Old 07-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Richard Owlett

Default *LOL* !!! A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Billie Walsh wrote:

On 07/02/2011 03:01 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:

Ric Moore wrote:

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 13:52 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

Jordon Bedwell wrote:

On 07/02/2011 10:51 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

No indication that it's Debian based or compatible.
50 MB is not really small.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoryebian-based_distributions
It's based on Debian.

Not sure what page I looked at as to derivation ;<
50 MB still not "small" :/

And I thought all of those 40 megabyte drives went to Canada to die.
Ric

You, *AND* others, optimize wrong parameter ;/
I've a LARGE powerful ???????
choke-point is download bandwidth ;

I went looking at the Ubuntu website but didn't find it.

Isn't there someplace you can request a CD be sent for free or for the
cost of mailing?

All I saw on the Ubuntu pages was how to order packs of five or more.

Might have to wait a bit for it to arrive via snail-mail but it beats
the download chokepoint.

You just proved I don't communicate well ;/

IMHO what's on distro CD is at least order of magnitude TOOOOO
bloated

Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Billie Walsh

[...]

I think what your asking is very unrealistic. If your on dial-up and/or
have bandwidth limits I could understand not wanting to download a
CD/DVD. But to have a system with even minimal functionality your going
to need something larger than your asking for.

--
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 15:51 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:

> >> You, *AND* others, optimize wrong parameter ;/
> >> I've a LARGE powerful ???????
> >> choke-point is download bandwidth ;
> >>

> > I went looking at the Ubuntu website but didn't find it.
> >
> > Isn't there someplace you can request a CD be sent for free or for the
> > cost of mailing?
> >
> > All I saw on the Ubuntu pages was how to order packs of five or more.
> >
> > Might have to wait a bit for it to arrive via snail-mail but it beats
> > the download chokepoint.
> >

> You just proved I don't communicate well ;/
>
> IMHO what's on distro CD is at least order of magnitude TOOOOO
> bloated

Ever tried it? You can tell it what packages to install - minimal and
what packages not to install. I think that's everyone's confusion. Are
you STUCK at 50 megs worth of harddrive or 50 megs worth of daily
download allotment? With my Hughesnet Satellite if I wait until 2AM I
have unlimited traffic until 5AM. Or, have you made a barroom bet that
you can have an OS that will fit within 50 megs?

It might help if you could provide some rationale for your needs. But,
Geoworks might be just what you need. Install DOS and then install Geos
on top. It would run like it's on fire, on a modern computer. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 03:51:24PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

.........snip.........

> >>You, *AND* others, optimize wrong parameter ;/
> >>I've a LARGE powerful ???????

Me too. Are we still talking about computers?

> >>choke-point is download bandwidth ;

.........snip........

> You just proved I don't communicate well ;/
>
> IMHO what's on distro CD is at least order of magnitude TOOOOO
> bloated

I missed part of this thread. Did you say how big your hd is and how much
ram you have?

You claimed "choke-point is download bandwidth". A cd by snailmail
circumvents this. Why is a cd install "too bloated"?

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,