Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Richard Owlett

Default A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Though Kermit might disagree, the subject line is ONLY slightly
"tongue in cheek".

I'm a Windows(tm) user tired of *BLOAT* who remembers vacuum
tubes and 026's. An internet acquaintance knowing my needs and
perspectives pointed me to Ubuntu as an appropriate version of
Linux. I downloaded the .iso of a 'live cd' (10.?) which I found
"bloated". The user experience was ok, though I'm not sure if the
good features I saw were Ubuntu specific or due to Debian heritage.

A *major constraint* is I'm restricted to dial-up access. I
understand that connectivity using a USB modem will have it's
issues, but that is one time problem. I have very limited access
to a wide-band connection at another location with my laptop.

The desired distro shall only have:
kernel
GUI
minimal browser
simple text editor {notepad suffices for >90% of my needs}
what's required to download/update apps
the *minimum* of other software to make an operable system

The result should be significantly smaller than Win 3.1 {most of
which I never used)

Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
JD

[...]

Have you tried DSL
(DamnSmallLinux)?

See http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

and scroll down for download sites.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Richard Owlett

JD wrote:

[...]

No indication that it's Debian based or compatible.
50 MB is not really small.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/2 Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com>:
> Though Kermit might disagree, the subject line is ONLY slightly "tongue in
> cheek".
>
> I'm a Windows(tm) user tired of *BLOAT* who remembers vacuum tubes and
> 026's. An internet acquaintance knowing my needs and perspectives pointed me
> to Ubuntu as an appropriate version of Linux. I downloaded the .iso of a
> 'live cd' (10.?) which I found "bloated". The user experience was ok, though
> I'm not sure if the good features I saw were Ubuntu specific or due to
> Debian heritage.
>
> A *major constraint* is I'm restricted to dial-up access. I understand that
> connectivity using a USB modem will have it's issues, but that is one time
> problem. I have very limited access to a wide-band connection at another
> location with my laptop.
>
> The desired distro shall only have:
> kernel
> GUI
> minimal browser
> simple text editor {notepad suffices for >90% of my needs}

Isn't Gedit simple enough…?

> what's required to download/update apps
> the *minimum* of other software to make an operable system
>
> The result should be significantly smaller than Win 3.1 {most of which I
> never used)

I would suggest Puppy Linux. It's small and it's fast, since the whole
operating system is loaded to RAM. The ISO file (version 5.2.5) is
127.8 MiB (133.9·10⁶ bytes). Is that small enough?
I haven't tried it since a year ago or maybe two, but I remember that
it was very fast back then. Hopefully the new version is fast enough.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/2 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2011/7/2 Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com>:
>> Though Kermit might disagree, the subject line is ONLY slightly "tongue in
>> cheek".
>>
>> I'm a Windows(tm) user tired of *BLOAT* who remembers vacuum tubes and
>> 026's. An internet acquaintance knowing my needs and perspectives pointed me
>> to Ubuntu as an appropriate version of Linux. I downloaded the .iso of a
>> 'live cd' (10.?) which I found "bloated". The user experience was ok, though
>> I'm not sure if the good features I saw were Ubuntu specific or due to
>> Debian heritage.
>>
>> A *major constraint* is I'm restricted to dial-up access. I understand that
>> connectivity using a USB modem will have it's issues, but that is one time
>> problem. I have very limited access to a wide-band connection at another
>> location with my laptop.
>>
>> The desired distro shall only have:
>> kernel
>> GUI
>> minimal browser
>> simple text editor {notepad suffices for >90% of my needs}
>
> Isn't Gedit simple enough…?
>
>> what's required to download/update apps
>> the *minimum* of other software to make an operable system
>>
>> The result should be significantly smaller than Win 3.1 {most of which I
>> never used)
>
> I would suggest Puppy Linux. It's small and it's fast, since the whole
> operating system is loaded to RAM. The ISO file (version 5.2.5) is
> 127.8 MiB (133.9·10⁶ bytes). Is that small enough?
> I haven't tried it since a year ago or maybe two, but I remember that
> it was very fast back then. Hopefully the new version is fast enough.

Sorry, I forgot to include the link:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/2 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2011/7/2 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
>> 2011/7/2 Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com>:
>>> Though Kermit might disagree, the subject line is ONLY slightly "tongue in
>>> cheek".
>>>
>>> I'm a Windows(tm) user tired of *BLOAT* who remembers vacuum tubes and
>>> 026's. An internet acquaintance knowing my needs and perspectives pointed me
>>> to Ubuntu as an appropriate version of Linux. I downloaded the .iso of a
>>> 'live cd' (10.?) which I found "bloated". The user experience was ok, though
>>> I'm not sure if the good features I saw were Ubuntu specific or due to
>>> Debian heritage.
>>>
>>> A *major constraint* is I'm restricted to dial-up access. I understand that
>>> connectivity using a USB modem will have it's issues, but that is one time
>>> problem. I have very limited access to a wide-band connection at another
>>> location with my laptop.
>>>
>>> The desired distro shall only have:
>>> kernel
>>> GUI
>>> minimal browser
>>> simple text editor {notepad suffices for >90% of my needs}
>>
>> Isn't Gedit simple enough…?
>>
>>> what's required to download/update apps
>>> the *minimum* of other software to make an operable system
>>>
>>> The result should be significantly smaller than Win 3.1 {most of which I
>>> never used)
>>
>> I would suggest Puppy Linux. It's small and it's fast, since the whole
>> operating system is loaded to RAM. The ISO file (version 5.2.5) is
>> 127.8 MiB (133.9·10⁶ bytes). Is that small enough?
>> I haven't tried it since a year ago or maybe two, but I remember that
>> it was very fast back then. Hopefully the new version is fast enough.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to include the link:
> http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

And this ws interesting reading too:
http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20NOT%20to%20install%20Puppy.htm

Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/2 Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com>:
> JD wrote:
>>
>> *On 07/02/2011 07:49 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>>
>>> Though Kermit might disagree, the subject line is ONLY slightly
>>> "tongue in cheek".
>>>
>>> I'm a Windows(tm) user tired of *BLOAT* who remembers vacuum tubes and
>>> 026's. An internet acquaintance knowing my needs and perspectives
>>> pointed me to Ubuntu as an appropriate version of Linux. I downloaded
>>> the .iso of a 'live cd' (10.?) which I found "bloated". The user
>>> experience was ok, though I'm not sure if the good features I saw were
>>> Ubuntu specific or due to Debian heritage.
>>>
>>> A *major constraint* is I'm restricted to dial-up access. I understand
>>> that connectivity using a USB modem will have it's issues, but that is
>>> one time problem. I have very limited access to a wide-band connection
>>> at another location with my laptop.
>>>
>>> The desired distro shall only have:
>>> kernel
>>> GUI
>>> minimal browser
>>> simple text editor {notepad suffices for >90% of my needs}
>>> what's required to download/update apps
>>> the *minimum* of other software to make an operable system
>>>
>>> The result should be significantly smaller than Win 3.1 {most of which
>>> I never used)
>>>

>> Have you tried DSL (DamnSmallLinux)?
>> See http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
>> and scroll down for download sites.
>>

> No indication that it's Debian based or compatible.
> 50 MB is not really small.

Then GNU/Linux is definitely not the answer you are looking for, and I
don't have a clue what is, sorry.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/2 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2011/7/2 Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com>:
>> JD wrote:

>>> Have you tried DSL (DamnSmallLinux)?
>>> See http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
>>> and scroll down for download sites.
>>>

>> No indication that it's Debian based or compatible.
>> 50 MB is not really small.
>
> Then GNU/Linux is definitely not the answer you are looking for, and I
> don't have a clue what is, sorry.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

I did some web searching and I found this thread, maybe you'll find it useful:

http://www.knowledgesutra.com/forums/topic/54591-smallest-os-with-gui/

Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
JD

[...]

In that case you could always go back DOS version 0.0.1
It could fit on a 360KB floppy.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Rashkae

[...]

You can install the Minimal install cd, then add packages that you want
for GUI etc. But I think your expectation of being smaller than 3.1
(let alone significantly) is going to be disappointed. My modules
folder alone, (which comes with a full kernel install) is over 100MB.
You'll need specialty micro distros with stripped down packages (ex,
kernels with as few modules compiled as possible) and probably no
package management to achieve that.