Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 AM
NoOp

Default 20 years of linux

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th/

Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Basil Chupin

On 02/07/11 15:57, NoOp wrote:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th/

Is this now officially recognised that by simply adding [OT] at the
beginning of the Subject of a post to this list that one can post
"offtopic" messages in this list?

Oh, and provided, of course, such posts have some contents dealing with
software which may or may not affect Linux and /or a Linux distro.

If this is now an officially accepted practice then I would have liked
to have posted quite a number of messages drawing members' attention to
matters of interest as it may affect their, or friend's, use of a computer.

BC

--
I guess reality is what you make of it.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 PM
eschamp

Basil Chupin has written on 7/2/2011 2:35 AM:
> On 02/07/11 15:57, NoOp wrote:
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th/
>

> Is this now officially recognised that by simply adding [OT] at the
> beginning of the Subject of a post to this list that one can post
> "offtopic" messages in this list?

I don't think there's anything official, but it seems to be common
courtesy to prepend OT to a message that is only peripherally related to
Ubuntu. Anything linux would seem to qualify as this is the
gmane.LINUX.ubuntu.user newsgroup.

> Oh, and provided, of course, such posts have some contents dealing with
> software which may or may not affect Linux and /or a Linux distro.

I would draw the line at that. I would think that has to be some
relationship with Linux.

> If this is now an officially accepted practice then I would have liked
> to have posted quite a number of messages drawing members' attention to
> matters of interest as it may affect their, or friend's, use of a computer.

Doesn't seem like they would be appropriate unless they were Linux-related.

But I'm not the arbiter.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/02/2011 01:39 PM, eschamp wrote:
> I don't think there's anything official, but it seems to be common
> courtesy to prepend OT to a message that is only peripherally related to
> Ubuntu. Anything linux would seem to qualify as this is the
> gmane.LINUX.ubuntu.user newsgroup.

No, this is the Ubuntu Users mailing list or Ubuntu-User mailing list.
How GMANE decides to archive the group has nothing to do with this list
and it does not dictate it's topics.

Anything off-topic is off-topic, it's only tolerated so much. You
cannot discuss anything Linux as this list is about Ubuntu Linux, not
Linux in general, that means you cannot expect help for Fedora here.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:18 AM
NoOp

On 07/01/2011 11:35 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 02/07/11 15:57, NoOp wrote:
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th/
>

> Is this now officially recognised that by simply adding [OT] at the
> beginning of the Subject of a post to this list that one can post
> "offtopic" messages in this list?
>
> Oh, and provided, of course, such posts have some contents dealing with
> software which may or may not affect Linux and /or a Linux distro.
>
> If this is now an officially accepted practice then I would have liked
> to have posted quite a number of messages drawing members' attention to
> matters of interest as it may affect their, or friend's, use of a computer.
Well you got me there BC. Y'all can killfile me & my thread. Sorry for
the OT noise.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 9:18 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 11:35 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 02/07/11 15:57, NoOp wrote:
>>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th/

> Well you got me there BC. Y'all can killfile me & my thread. Sorry for
> the OT noise.

On the contrary. Thanks for sharing the link. It's very insightful for
me to hear the history of Linux directly from Linus.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:56 AM
Basil Chupin

Is this now officially recognised that by simply adding [OT] at the
beginning of the Subject of a post to this list that one can post
"offtopic" messages in this list?

Oh, and provided, of course, such posts have some contents dealing with
software which may or may not affect Linux and /or a Linux distro.

If this is now an officially accepted practice then I would have liked
to have posted quite a number of messages drawing members' attention to
matters of interest as it may affect their, or friend's, use of a computer.

Well you got me there BC. Y'all can killfile me& my thread. Sorry for
the OT noise.

Don't know what you are talking about, NoOp.

Don't be so paranoid :-) .

It was a serious question.

Sounder was removed for some flimsy reason and there is a need to be
able to post news of interest to members.

Does putting [OT] at the start of the Subject now provide an 'Offtopic'
sub-list to meet such a need?

BC

--
I guess reality is what you make of it.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 13:56 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 03/07/11 11:18, NoOp wrote:
> >>
> >> Is this now officially recognised that by simply adding [OT] at the
> >> beginning of the Subject of a post to this list that one can post
> >> "offtopic" messages in this list?
> >>
> >> Oh, and provided, of course, such posts have some contents dealing with
> >> software which may or may not affect Linux and /or a Linux distro.
> >>
> >> If this is now an officially accepted practice then I would have liked
> >> to have posted quite a number of messages drawing members' attention to
> >> matters of interest as it may affect their, or friend's, use of a computer.
> > Well you got me there BC. Y'all can killfile me& my thread. Sorry for
> > the OT noise.
>

> Don't know what you are talking about, NoOp.
>
> Don't be so paranoid :-) .
>
> It was a serious question.
>
> Sounder was removed for some flimsy reason and there is a need to be
> able to post news of interest to members.
>
> Does putting [OT] at the start of the Subject now provide an 'Offtopic'
> sub-list to meet such a need?

It "may" help, as long as we're not drawing too much attention to it, so
we can skate a bit. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

I hated skating on any ice unless I knew that the damn thing was safe
enough to skate on.

There is a difference where in the middle of some discussion there is a
temporary sidetracking into "offtopic" matters - just like this
"Fooking" province thing :-) ; I think that this is acceptable even
though to some such a thing is an "abomination before the lord!" and it
makes their teeth (false most likely) gnash.

On the other hand it is quite different to stick [OT] at the beginning
of a new thread/subject/topic and have it considered as legimitate for a
list when a perfectly adequate list which was specifically designed to
handle offtopic subjects was removed.

Hence my question.

BC

--
I guess reality is what you make of it.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Basil Chupin

I don't think there's anything official, but it seems to be common
courtesy to prepend OT to a message that is only peripherally related to
Ubuntu. Anything linux would seem to qualify as this is the
gmane.LINUX.ubuntu.user newsgroup.

No, this is the Ubuntu Users mailing list or Ubuntu-User mailing list.
How GMANE decides to archive the group has nothing to do with this list
and it does not dictate it's topics.

Does anyone know what Bedwell is talking about?

If so, could you please explain what he means in the above as a response
to what eschamp wrote?

Anything off-topic is off-topic, it's only tolerated so much. You
cannot discuss anything Linux as this list is about Ubuntu Linux, not
Linux in general, that means you cannot expect help for Fedora here.

Anyone know when Bedwell took over the role of being this list's
moderator and can, therefore, pontificate on what may be written in this
list and in what form?

BC

--
Paradise is like Hell and neither is too far from you because both are creations of your mind and therefore both are already inside you.