Old 07-02-2011, 03:47 AM
NoOp

Default Software installation errors

On 07/01/2011 08:28 PM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When ever i install or remove any software, i see following errors. Was
> upgraded ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 recently and seeing this error after
> upgrading. Please any one help me in resolving this error. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> pkaX@pkax-ThinkPad-R400:~$ sudo apt-get install usermod
> [sudo] password for pkaX:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Suggested packages:
> transmission-daemon transmission-gtk
> transmission-cli
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 81 not upgraded.
> 3 not fully installed or removed.

Try:

$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
$ sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Old 07-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 08:58 +0530, Prasanna Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When ever i install or remove any software, i see following errors.
> Was upgraded ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 recently and seeing this error
> after upgrading. Please any one help me in resolving this error.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> pkaX@pkax-ThinkPad-R400:~$ sudo apt-get install usermod
> [sudo] password for pkaX:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Suggested packages:
> transmission-daemon transmission-gtk
> transmission-cli
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 81 not upgraded.
> 3 not fully installed or removed.

Maybe do the upgrades and fix the damaged packages before you beat that
dead horse. Try using synaptic. Make it easy on yourself. <grins> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Prasanna Kumar

Hi,

Thanks for the reply... If i run the following command, i see the below error:

pkaX@pkax-ThinkPad-R400:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******

Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 81 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up samba4 (4.0.0~alpha15~git20110124.dfsg1-2ubuntu1) ...

Unknown parameter encountered: "max log size"
Ignoring unknown parameter "max log size"
Unknown parameter encountered: "syslog"
Ignoring unknown parameter "syslog"
Unknown parameter encountered: "passdb backend"

Ignoring unknown parameter "passdb backend"
Unknown parameter encountered: "unix password sync"
Ignoring unknown parameter "unix password sync"
Unknown parameter encountered: "passwd program"

Ignoring unknown parameter "passwd program"
Unknown parameter encountered: "pam password change"
Ignoring unknown parameter "pam password change"
Unknown parameter encountered: "map to guest"

Ignoring unknown parameter "map to guest"
Unknown parameter encountered: "usershare allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "usershare allow guests"
Unknown parameter encountered: "guest ok"

Ignoring unknown parameter "guest ok"
[...]

WARNING: Module [samba_dsdb] not found - do you need to set LDB_MODULES_PATH?
Unable to load modules for /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb: (null)
Traceback (most recent call last):

* File "/usr/share/samba/setup/upgradeprovision", line 1597, in <module>
*** ldbs = get_ldbs(paths, creds, session, lp)
* File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/upgradehelpers.py", line 159, in get_ldbs

*** ldbs.sam = SamDB(paths.samdb, session_info=session, credentials=creds, lp=lp, options=["modules:samba_dsdb"])
* File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/samdb.py", line 53, in __init__
*** options=options)

* File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/__init__.py", line 110, in __init__
*** self.connect(url, flags, options)
* File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/samdb.py", line 66, in connect

*** options=options)
_ldb.LdbError: (80, None)
dpkg: error processing samba4 (--configure):
*subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openchangeserver:

*openchangeserver depends on samba4 (>= 4.0.0~); however:
* Package samba4 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openchangeserver (--configure):
*dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openchangeserver-dev:

*openchangeserver-dev depends on openchangeserver (= 1:0.11~bzr1932-1build1); however:
* Package openchangeserver is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing openchangeserver-dev (--configure):
*dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
************************* No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.

************************************************** * Errors were encountered while processing:
*samba4
*openchangeserver
*openchangeserver-dev

Is there any alternate way to install the same?

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:17 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 07/01/2011 08:28 PM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:

> Hi,

> When ever i install or remove any software, i see following errors. Was

> upgraded ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 recently and seeing this error after

> upgrading. Please any one help me in resolving this error. Thanks in

> advance.

> pkaX@pkax-ThinkPad-R400:~$ sudo apt-get install usermod

> [sudo] password for pkaX:

> Reading package lists... Done

> Building dependency tree

> Reading state information... Done

> Suggested packages:

> * transmission-daemon transmission-gtk

> * transmission-cli

> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 81 not upgraded.

> 3 not fully installed or removed.

Try:

$ sudo apt-get install -f

$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

$ sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Prasanna :-)

Old 07-02-2011, 06:30 PM
NoOp

On 07/02/2011 03:27 AM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Thanks for the reply... If i run the following command, i see the below
> error:
>
> pkaX@pkax-ThinkPad-R400:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 81 not upgraded.
> 3 not fully installed or removed.
> options=options)
> _ldb.LdbError: (80, None)
> dpkg: error processing samba4 (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openchangeserver:
> openchangeserver depends on samba4 (>= 4.0.0~); however:
> Package samba4 is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing openchangeserver (--configure):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openchangeserver-dev:
> openchangeserver-dev depends on openchangeserver (=
> 1:0.11~bzr1932-1build1); however:
> Package openchangeserver is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing openchangeserver-dev (--configure):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup
> error from a previous failure.
> No apport report written because the error message
> indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
> Errors were encountered
> while processing:
> samba4
> openchangeserver
> openchangeserver-dev
>
> Is there any alternate way to install the same?

$ sudo apt-get purge samba4
$ sudo apt-get purge openchangeserver
$ sudo apt-get purge openchangeserver-dev
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then:

>> $ sudo apt-get install -f
>> $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
And then you can try to reinstall samba4 & openchangeserver.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Prasanna Kumar

Hi,

Thanks a lot for quick response.. After re-installing the samba4 by performing all the steps suggested by you, the softer installation and removal is going on smoothly without any error. It looks like the samaba4 problem is solved. Once again thanks a lot.

One more question i have, this is not related to this error. I am able to see one icon in the launcher and if i place the mouse it says "Install RELEASE". Do you have any idea what is this going to install? Am not sure will there be any problem if i install this. Thanks in advance..

Regards,
Prasanna.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
NoOp

On 07/03/2011 01:19 AM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for quick response.. After re-installing the samba4 by
> performing all the steps suggested by you, the softer installation and
> removal is going on smoothly without any error. It looks like the samaba4
> problem is solved. Once again thanks a lot.

Great. You're most welcome.

> One more question i have, this is not related to this error. I am able to
> see one icon in the launcher and if i place the mouse it says "Install
> RELEASE". Do you have any idea what is this going to install? Am not sure
> will there be any problem if i install this. Thanks in advance..

Not sure exactly what icon you are referring to. You already upgraded
from 10.10 to 11.04, so I know of no other release (except for ocelot)
that it would be wanting to upgrade to. Did you do *all* of the steps
that I pointed out in my previous? It could be that because you had 81
upgrades to still do, that some of those will result in only a 'partial
release/upgrade'. So you'll need to keep going through them until you
are fully upgraded.

Please bottom post on this list (meaning put your reply at the end, or
intersperse your reply).

Old 07-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Prasanna Kumar

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:48 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 07/03/2011 01:19 AM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:

> Hi,

> Thanks a lot for quick response.. After re-installing the samba4 by

> performing all the steps suggested by you, the softer installation and

> removal is going on smoothly without any error. It looks like the samaba4

> problem is solved. Once again thanks a lot.

Great. You're most welcome.

> One more question i have, this is not related to this error. I am able to

> see one icon in the launcher and if i place the mouse it says "Install

> RELEASE". Do you have any idea what is this going to install? Am not sure

> will there be any problem if i install this. Thanks in advance..

Not sure exactly what icon you are referring to. You already upgraded

from 10.10 to 11.04, so I know of no other release (except for ocelot)

that it would be wanting to upgrade to. Did you do *all* of the steps

that I pointed out in my previous? It could be that because you had 81

upgrades to still do, that some of those will result in only a 'partial

release/upgrade'. So you'll need to keep going through them until you

are fully upgraded.

Please bottom post on this list (meaning put your reply at the end, or

intersperse your reply).

Was not able to share the screen shots as the size is high. Am attaching only one screen shot which is having the icon which am referring to. Hope this may give some clue to you.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM
NoOp

On 07/04/2011 09:55 AM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Was not able to share the screen shots as the size is high. Am attaching
> only one screen shot which is having the icon which am referring to. Hope
> this may give some clue to you.

Unfortunately I don't know. You could click it & find out. But first,
what is the output of:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Prasanna Kumar

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:50 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 07/04/2011 09:55 AM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:

> Hi,

> Was not able to share the screen shots as the size is high. Am attaching

> only one screen shot which is having the icon which am referring to. Hope

> this may give some clue to you.

Unfortunately I don't know. You could click it & find out. But first,

what is the output of:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Following is the output of the command:

pkaX@pkax-ThinkPad-R400:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] password for pkaX:

Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security InRelease***********************
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty InRelease******************************

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates InRelease***********
Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com natty InRelease************************

Ign http://archive.canonical.com natty InRelease********************
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security Release.gpg***********

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty Release.gpg******************
Hit http://archive.canonical.com natty Release.gpg******************

Get:1 http://extras.ubuntu.com natty Release.gpg [72 B]*************
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates Release.gpg**********

Hit http://extras.ubuntu.com natty Release**************************
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty Release********************************

Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/main Sources********************
Hit http://archive.canonical.com natty/partner Sources************************

Hit http://extras.ubuntu.com natty/main Sources*********************
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates Release**************

Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/restricted Sources**************
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/universe Sources****************

Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/multiverse Sources**************
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/main i386 Packages**************

Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/restricted i386 Packages********
Hit http://archive.canonical.com natty/partner i386 Packages******************

Ign http://archive.canonical.com natty/partner TranslationIndex***************
Hit http://extras.ubuntu.com natty/main i386 Packages*************************

Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com natty/main TranslationIndex************
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/main Sources*****************

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/restricted Sources***********
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/universe Sources***********************

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/multiverse Sources*********************
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/main i386 Packages***********

Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/universe i386 Packages**********
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/multiverse i386 Packages********

Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/main TranslationIndex***********
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/multiverse TranslationIndex*****

Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/restricted TranslationIndex*****
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/universe TranslationIndex

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/restricted i386 Packages*****
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/universe i386 Packages*******

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/multiverse i386 Packages*****
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/main TranslationIndex********

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/multiverse TranslationIndex**
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/restricted TranslationIndex**

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/universe TranslationIndex**************
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/main Sources*******************

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/restricted Sources***
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/universe Sources*****

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/multiverse Sources*************
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/main i386 Packages*************

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/restricted i386 Packages
Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/universe i386 Packages

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/multiverse i386 Packages*******
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/main TranslationIndex**********

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/multiverse TranslationIndex
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/restricted TranslationIndex****

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/universe TranslationIndex******
Ign http://archive.canonical.com natty/partner Translation-en_US**************

Ign http://extras.ubuntu.com natty/main Translation-en_US*********************

Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/main Translation-en_US**********

Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/main Translation-en*************
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/main Translation-en_US*****************

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/main Translation-en********************
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/multiverse Translation-en_US***********

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/multiverse Translation-en**************
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/multiverse Translation-en_US****

Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/multiverse Translation-en*******
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/restricted Translation-en_US****

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/restricted Translation-en_US***********
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/restricted Translation-en**************

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/universe Translation-en_US*************
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/restricted Translation-en*******

Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/universe Translation-en_US******
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com natty-security/universe Translation-en*********

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty/universe Translation-en****************
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/main Translation-en_US*********

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/main Translation-en************
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/multiverse Translation-en_US***

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/multiverse Translation-en******
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/restricted Translation-en_US***

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/restricted Translation-en******
Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/universe Translation-en_US*****

Ign http://us.archive.ubuntu.com natty-updates/universe Translation-en********
Fetched 72 B in 10s (7 B/s)************************************************ ***
Reading package lists... Done

Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 PM
NoOp

On 07/04/2011 09:19 PM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:50 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 07/04/2011 09:55 AM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Was not able to share the screen shots as the size is high. Am attaching
>> > only one screen shot which is having the icon which am referring to. Hope
>> > this may give some clue to you.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't know. You could click it & find out. But first,
>> what is the output of:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done

Appears to be all in order. I reckon you can go ahead & click on the
icon to find out what it is.