-   -   ATI Flashing tool for Linux? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/547136-ati-flashing-tool-linux.html)

Jordon Bedwell 07-02-2011 02:57 AM

ATI Flashing tool for Linux?

As I sit here on my Windows laptop denying I'm actually on Windows right
now fixing my graphics cards bios for the summer, it came to me to ask
the list if anybody knows of any tools that can edit my ATI bios and
flash it from Linux without me having to use Windows?

Ric Moore 07-02-2011 03:59 AM

ATI Flashing tool for Linux?

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 21:57 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> As I sit here on my Windows laptop denying I'm actually on Windows right
> now fixing my graphics cards bios for the summer, it came to me to ask
> the list if anybody knows of any tools that can edit my ATI bios and
> flash it from Linux without me having to use Windows?

Jordon, I did that once for my bios and it's not for the faint of heart.
What I did was grab OpenDos, created an ISO image that included my bios
upgrade prog and code and burnt that to a CD to boot. Here's the "not
for the faint of heart" part; you need to check all that old dos crap,
like autoexec.bat and config.sys and make the edits while trying to
remember how you did that 20 years ago. Best get it right too before the
burning and booting. Or, you'll let the smoke out. I found a link to a
working setup, where I related what worked for me with my asus board.

I imagine it would be the same if there is a DOS method to edit/flash
your video card. That wouldn't be much different. Otherwise, you just
might have to use Windows to do that ...safely. It's always better to
keep the smoke where it belongs, inside the caps. Oh yeah, don't press a
red button. No one else replied so I figured I'd donate my two cents.
:) Ric

Linux user# 44256

Ric Moore 07-02-2011 04:01 AM

ATI Flashing tool for Linux?

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 21:57 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> As I sit here on my Windows laptop denying I'm actually on Windows right
> now

You thought we wouldn't notice? <cackles> Ric

Mailer:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64;
rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624
Thunderbird/5.0

Linux user# 44256

Yorvyk 07-02-2011 12:58 PM

ATI Flashing tool for Linux?

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:57:38 -0500
Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

> As I sit here on my Windows laptop denying I'm actually on Windows right
> now fixing my graphics cards bios for the summer, it came to me to ask
> the list if anybody knows of any tools that can edit my ATI bios and
> flash it from Linux without me having to use Windows?

There's flashrom, which is in the repos. I haven't tired it, yet, to burn a ROM but it does read the ROMs OK.

http://www.flashrom.org/Flashrom

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net