Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default anyone installed libreoffice 3.4.0 on ubuntu 11.04?

i'm interested in some of the new features in libreoffice 3.4.0, and
i can see that there are new .deb format packages here:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

i grabbed the two tarballs for 64-bit linux, un-gzipped them and can
see that the install tarball produces some 54 .deb packages. i
already have the current (3.3.2) version of libreoffice on this
system; are there any issues with installing the 3.4.0 packages as
well? has anyone done this, and can verify that they can co-exist
peacefully? thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i'm interested in some of the new features in libreoffice 3.4.0, and
> i can see that there are new .deb format packages here:
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
>
> i grabbed the two tarballs for 64-bit linux, un-gzipped them and can
> see that the install tarball produces some 54 .deb packages. i
> already have the current (3.3.2) version of libreoffice on this
> system; are there any issues with installing the 3.4.0 packages as
> well? has anyone done this, and can verify that they can co-exist
> peacefully? thanks.

whoops, i see that i can't have both versions installed at the same
time according to this:

http://digitizor.com/2011/06/06/install-libreoffice-3-4-ubuntu/

Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Μελέτης Καραμπίνης

Hi
i think there is no problem with this, but i hanen't try it .

LinkedIn: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 PM
NoOp

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

>> i'm interested in some of the new features in libreoffice 3.4.0, and
>> i can see that there are new .deb format packages here:
>>
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
>>
>> i grabbed the two tarballs for 64-bit linux, un-gzipped them and can
>> see that the install tarball produces some 54 .deb packages. i
>> already have the current (3.3.2) version of libreoffice on this
>> system; are there any issues with installing the 3.4.0 packages as
>> well? has anyone done this, and can verify that they can co-exist
>> peacefully? thanks.
>
> whoops, i see that i can't have both versions installed at the same
> time according to this:
>
> http://digitizor.com/2011/06/06/install-libreoffice-3-4-ubuntu/

Sure you can:

$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/basis3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/ure/bin/versionrc
/usr/lib/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

I have the LO versions of 3.3 and 3.4 installed in /opt, and the
standard Ubuntu'ized version installed in /usr. You just can't run them
at the same time. That last bit is interesting as on my maverick system
I can run multiple versions of OOo as well as a single LO all at the
same time. On maverick I have:

$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/basis3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

Old 07-02-2011, 12:44 AM
NoOp

On 07/01/2011 10:58 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 01:44 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Sure you can:
>
> $ locate versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice3.4/basis3.4/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/versionrc
> /opt/libreoffice3.4/ure/bin/versionrc
> /usr/lib/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
> /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/versionrc
> /usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc
>
> I have the LO versions of 3.3 and 3.4 installed in /opt, and the
> standard Ubuntu'ized version installed in /usr. You just can't run them
> at the same time. That last bit is interesting as on my maverick system
> I can run multiple versions of OOo as well as a single LO all at the
> same time. On maverick I have:

Sorted out why I couldn't run multiple versions - I'd forgotten to
modify the bootstraprc file. I can now run (U)LO 3.3.2, LO 3.3.2, and LO
3.4.1 - all at the same time.

Just download the .deb (including the help .deb). In nautilus, right
click on the .tz and select 'Extract here'. Then go to:
LibO_3.4.1rc3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS in a terminal and:

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Do the same for the help files:
LibO_3.4.1rc3_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-US/DEBS

After you've installed (again in the terminal):

$ cd /opt/libreoffice3.4/program
$ gksu gedit bootstraprc

Modify the following line:

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice/3
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.4/3

Save the file & exit gedit. This will have LO 3.4 use the
~/.libreoffice3.4/3 for your user profile and will not interfere with
your existing Ubuntu LO 3.3 at ~/.libreoffice/3.

Again in the terminal:
$ /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/soffice

Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 AM
NoOp

On 07/01/2011 05:44 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Sorted out why I couldn't run multiple versions - I'd forgotten to
> modify the bootstraprc file. I can now run (U)LO 3.3.2, LO 3.3.2, and LO
> 3.4.1 - all at the same time.

Screenshot of all 3 running at the same time:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/screenshot6on.png/