Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Frank McCormick

Default more on T'bird

On 11-06-30 06:29 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 05:04 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>>
>> By clicking on the https link at the bottom of my own message.I
>> discovered the https link does work - it's apparently in the T'bird
>> setup under attachments ?? The http link is also there, BUT doesn't work
>> if the link is http. It does work if you change the http selection to
>> "always ask", then when you click a link in mail, you can pick a
>> browser!!
>> This is really weird.
>>

> I am running Tbird 3.1.11 x86_64 edition and I have both https & http
> set to "use Firefox". I can automatically open either one in Firefox
> with no problems.
>
> I have these settings in about:config:
>
> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/home/me/firefox/firefox
> network.protocol-handler.app.http;/home/me/firefox/firefox
> network.protocol-handler.app.https;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>
> if that helps.
>
> Regards, Jim

The really strange thing is when I created those
setttings , and set them to /usr/bin/firefox they did
nothing at all. I found the suggestion to create them
on the mozilla forum. Then I accidentally clicked
on the https link at the bottom of some mail, and it worked, but only
for https. I then went into T'birds preferences attachments, and saw
it was set to run Firefox. I then added http also set to run
Firefox and it worked. So I still don't know for sure what
controls what in Thunderbird
Can you check you T'bird preferences attachments and see what's in
there-I am curious.

I found the same thing in Firefox under preferences/applications and set
the mailto: link to /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird and it works.

--
Cheers
Frank

Old 07-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Jim Byrnes

[...]

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here but if you mean the settings for
http & https both say "use Firefox". If that's not what you need let me
know and I will try to provide what you need.

Regards, Jim

Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Frank McCormick

On 11-06-30 11:13 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 07:07 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

>>> I am running Tbird 3.1.11 x86_64 edition and I have both https& http
>>> set to "use Firefox". I can automatically open either one in Firefox
>>> with no problems.
>>>
>>> I have these settings in about:config:
>>>
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.http;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.https;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>>>
>>> if that helps.
>>>
>>> Regards, Jim
>>>

>> The really strange thing is when I created those
>> setttings , and set them to /usr/bin/firefox they did
>> nothing at all. I found the suggestion to create them
>> on the mozilla forum. Then I accidentally clicked
>> on the https link at the bottom of some mail, and it worked, but only
>> for https. I then went into T'birds preferences attachments, and saw
>> it was set to run Firefox. I then added http also set to run
>> Firefox and it worked. So I still don't know for sure what
>> controls what in Thunderbird
>> Can you check you T'bird preferences attachments and see what's in
>> there-I am curious.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean here but if you mean the settings for
> http & https both say "use Firefox". If that's not what you need let me
> know and I will try to provide what you need.

Yes, that's what I thought. I think these settings in about:config

network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/home/me/firefox/firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.http;/home/me/firefox/firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.https;/home/me/firefox/firefox

don't do anything. I have since found out they worked in versions of
Thunderbird prior to the 3.0 series but do no longer work, at least
that's what people in the forums say. The key controlling mechanism in
current Thunderbirds is the preference/attachments config.

--
Cheers
Frank

Old 07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 07/01/2011 08:59 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:

[...]

I haven't read those forums in quite some time so you are more up to
date than I am. The only lingering doubt I would have is if they don't
do anything why are they still there. I didn't upgrade from 2.xx to
3.xx, I moved from SeaMonkey to Tbird so it was a fresh install. I was
going to test by removing them but it seems the config editor will not
allow you to remove things, only change them. I imagine I could find
the file and do it manually but mine is working fine and now yours is
also, I decided not to mess with success.

Regards, JIm

Old 07-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Frank McCormick

On 11-07-01 10:59 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 08:59 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:

//big snip//

>> Yes, that's what I thought. I think these settings in about:config
>>
>> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>> network.protocol-handler.app.http;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>> network.protocol-handler.app.https;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>>
>> don't do anything. I have since found out they worked in versions of
>> Thunderbird prior to the 3.0 series but do no longer work, at least
>> that's what people in the forums say. The key controlling mechanism in
>> current Thunderbirds is the preference/attachments config.
>>

> I haven't read those forums in quite some time so you are more up to
> date than I am. The only lingering doubt I would have is if they don't
> do anything why are they still there. I didn't upgrade from 2.xx to
> 3.xx, I moved from SeaMonkey to Tbird so it was a fresh install. I was
> going to test by removing them but it seems the config editor will not
> allow you to remove things, only change them. I imagine I could find
> the file and do it manually but mine is working fine and now yours is
> also, I decided not to mess with success.

Yup, my dad used to say.."if it ain't broke...don't fix it"

--
Cheers
Frank