Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Frank McCormick

Default Links in Thunderbird

I have just switched to Thunderbird for mail and am having problems
getting Thunderbird to bring up the default browser when links in mail
are clicked.
I have done everything suggested in posts on the Thunderbird help
site...but still no go. I am running Natty under Gnome (and sometimes
IceWm)...and both Thunderbird and Firefox say they are the defaults.
Can anyone help ?

--
Cheers
Frank

Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Avi

Frank McCormick wrote:

> I have just switched to Thunderbird for mail and am having problems
> getting Thunderbird to bring up the default browser when links in mail
> are clicked.
> I have done everything suggested in posts on the Thunderbird help
> site...but still no go. I am running Natty under Gnome (and sometimes
> IceWm)...and both Thunderbird and Firefox say they are the defaults.
> Can anyone help ?

Define 'no go'; what actually happens?

--
Avi

Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Frank McCormick

On 11-06-30 06:05 PM, Avi wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
>
>> I have just switched to Thunderbird for mail and am having problems
>> getting Thunderbird to bring up the default browser when links in mail
>> are clicked.
>> I have done everything suggested in posts on the Thunderbird help
>> site...but still no go. I am running Natty under Gnome (and sometimes
>> IceWm)...and both Thunderbird and Firefox say they are the defaults.
>> Can anyone help ?
>>

> Define 'no go'; what actually happens?

See my follow-up message - https links work...http doesn't, unless
you go into Thunderbird preferences under attachments ( of all places)
and set it to "always ask",,,then when you click an email link, a popup
box asks which browser you want to open the link.

--
Cheers

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Graham Todd

Frank wrote on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:52:01 -0400 the following:

>I have just switched to Thunderbird for mail and am having problems
>getting Thunderbird to bring up the default browser when links in mail
>are clicked.
>I have done everything suggested in posts on the Thunderbird help
>site...but still no go. I am running Natty under Gnome (and sometimes
>IceWm)...and both Thunderbird and Firefox say they are the defaults.
>Can anyone help ?

Depends on whether you want to continue with Thunderbird, or not.

I've never had any problems when using Claws-Mail, and in fact I would
recommend Claws-Mail as an email program for many users. Its in the
Ubuntu repos but has its own PPA if you want updates "straight from the
horse's mouth". It will also act as a very efficient NNTP-protocol
newsreader.

Claws-Mail uses plugins to enhance functionality, for instance for
Gnupg, for html mail, and for filtering agents such as bogofilter or
spamassassin. This enables the footprint to be held at a reasonable
size while the user can add the functionality he/she needs.

--
Graham Todd

Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Frank McCormick

[...]

Had I not solved my problem....(the key was preferences/advanced)
I was considering switching as I had been running Sylpheed for years.
However it's handling of HTML mail, and it's general slowness to connect
to my ISP's servers powered the change to T'bird. It displays HTML
"properly", and dl's messages 10 time as fast for some unknown reason. I
will keep claws-mail in mind if ever I am unhappy with T'bird.

--
Cheers
Frank