Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Verde Denim

Default fresh install

I downloaded and installed 11.04* 64 bit server to my newest laptop (Dell E6410), which, according to the Ubuntu pages, says it is "Ubuntu Certified".
The installation goes through the entire process fine (I'm using the entire disc guided with encryption and LVM, selecting only SSH Server), and ends by ejecting the disc and telling me take the disc out and reboot. When I tell it to continue, I get this -

Sent SIGKILL to all processes
Requesting system reboot
[ 1034.239927 ] Restarting system.
_

and nothing more.

Power the box off using the power switch and restarting it does restart ok. Just not sure why it seems to hang at that point.

After the initial apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, I rebooted and got the same behavior.

Any input as always is appreciated.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 6/30/2011 12:08 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
> I downloaded and installed 11.04 64 bit server to my newest laptop (Dell
> E6410), which, according to the Ubuntu pages, says it is "Ubuntu Certified".
> The installation goes through the entire process fine (I'm using the entire
> disc guided with encryption and LVM, selecting only SSH Server), and ends by
> ejecting the disc and telling me take the disc out and reboot. When I tell
> it to continue, I get this -
>
> Sent SIGKILL to all processes
> Requesting system reboot
> [ 1034.239927 ] Restarting system.
> _
>
> and nothing more.
>
> Power the box off using the power switch and restarting it does restart ok.
> Just not sure why it seems to hang at that point.
> After the initial apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, I rebooted and got the
> same behavior.
>
> Any input as always is appreciated.

I'm rather confused. If you told it to continue after it ejected the CD
then those messages are normal. If you are rebooting then those
messages are normal. I fail to see what the problem is, unless it's
actually doing it randomly for no reason. Those messages are all normal
messages and nothing to worry about, the only time you should worry is
if again it does it randomly.

Can you elaborate for us what exactly the problem is because your
statements are pretty ambiguous and if you can provide more then those
three lines from the log. For example what happens before that.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Mark Widdicombe

On 30 June 2011 07:12, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

On 6/30/2011 12:08 AM, Verde Denim wrote:

> and nothing more.

I'm rather confused. *If you told it to continue after it ejected the CD

then those messages are normal. *If you are rebooting then those

messages are normal. *I fail to see what the problem is, unless it's

actually doing it randomly for no reason. *Those messages are all normal

messages and nothing to worry about, the only time you should worry is

if again it does it randomly.

Can you elaborate for us what exactly the problem is because your

statements are pretty ambiguous and if you can provide more then those

three lines from the log. *For example what happens before that.

I think his problem is that the machine neither shuts down nor restarts, which one would expect it to do.* It hangs at the shutdown stage after the message he quotes.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Koh Choon Lin

>> Power the box off using the power switch and restarting it does restart ok.
>> Just not sure why it seems to hang at that point.
>> After the initial apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, I rebooted and*
> got the
>> same behavior.

> Can you elaborate for us what exactly the problem is because your
> statements are pretty ambiguous and if you can provide more then those
> three lines from the log. *For example what happens before that.

I too get those messages. I guess he is asking why his laptop would not reboot automatically and requires a manual restart.

Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Verde Denim

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Koh Choon Lin <kchoonlin@yahoo.gr> wrote:

>> Power the box off using the power switch and restarting it does restart ok.

>> Just not sure why it seems to hang at that point.

>> After the initial apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, I rebooted and*

> got the

>> same behavior.

> Can you elaborate for us what exactly the problem is because your

> statements are pretty ambiguous and if you can provide more then those

> three lines from the log. *For example what happens before that.

I too get those messages. I guess he is asking why his laptop would not reboot automatically and requires a manual restart.

Correct. Once the _restarting system_ message is shown, the system stops (as though halted), but no reboot. The command I'm issuing is 'shutdown -r now' ...

All the processes are stopped, and then - no reboot. I've restarted the system by powering off and back on three times, and it behaves exactly the same way each time...

Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM
NoOp

On 06/29/2011 11:11 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Koh Choon Lin ...
>> I too get those messages. I guess he is asking why his laptop would not
>> reboot automatically and requires a manual restart.
>>

> Correct. Once the _restarting system_ message is shown, the system stops (as
> though halted), but no reboot. The command I'm issuing is 'shutdown -r now'
> All the processes are stopped, and then - no reboot. I've restarted the
> system by powering off and back on three times, and it behaves exactly the
> same way each time...

Maybe related:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes>
[The system occasionally fails to reboot after completing the
installation and clicking 'Reboot Now'. (712654)]

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/712654>

Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
NoOp

On 06/30/2011 08:09 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 11:11 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Koh Choon Lin ...
>>> I too get those messages. I guess he is asking why his laptop would not
>>> reboot automatically and requires a manual restart.
>>>

>> Correct. Once the _restarting system_ message is shown, the system stops (as
>> though halted), but no reboot. The command I'm issuing is 'shutdown -r now'
>> All the processes are stopped, and then - no reboot. I've restarted the
>> system by powering off and back on three times, and it behaves exactly the
>> same way each time...
>
> Maybe related:
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes>
> [The system occasionally fails to reboot after completing the
> installation and clicking 'Reboot Now'. (712654)]
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/712654>

Sorry, forgot to add this as well:
<http://www.mailrepository.com/ubuntu-bugs.lists.ubuntu.com/msg/3622427/>

Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Donald Talbert

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 08:13 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 08:09 AM, NoOp wrote:
> > On 06/29/2011 11:11 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> >> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Koh Choon Lin ...
> >>>

> >> Correct. Once the _restarting system_ message is shown, the system stops (as
> >> though halted), but no reboot. The command I'm issuing is 'shutdown -r now'
> >> All the processes are stopped, and then - no reboot. I've restarted the
> >> system by powering off and back on three times, and it behaves exactly the
> >> same way each time...
> >
> > Maybe related:
> > <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes>
> > [The system occasionally fails to reboot after completing the
> > installation and clicking 'Reboot Now'. (712654)]
> >
> > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/712654>
>
> Sorry, forgot to add this as well:
> <http://www.mailrepository.com/ubuntu-bugs.lists.ubuntu.com/msg/3622427/>

Yeah its a bug, but nothing to worry about nor does it harm anything.
System is halted but just didn't cycle so its safe to shutdown. I come
across it time to time in Virtual Machines.