Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"

Default Printer Drivers missing on Lucid

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:20:45 -0600, Roy Strachan wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been grappling with a strange problem ever since I upgraded to
> Lucid. Whenever I plug in a printer HP inkjet 3900(USB) which worked
> fine with the previous version, I get a message saying that the system
> is searching for drivers but this just stays on the screen even when
> left overnight with internet access on. But my multifunction Samsung
> 2160 installed without any hassle because I downloaded a linux driver
> for it.
> How can I get around this? Your assistance would be deeply appreciated.

Have you installed HPLIP from Symantec?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 00:39:58 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:20:45 -0600, Roy Strachan wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I've been grappling with a strange problem ever since I upgraded to
>> Lucid. Whenever I plug in a printer HP inkjet 3900(USB) which worked
>> fine with the previous version, I get a message saying that the system
>> is searching for drivers but this just stays on the screen even when
>> left overnight with internet access on. But my multifunction Samsung
>> 2160 installed without any hassle because I downloaded a linux driver
>> for it.
>> How can I get around this? Your assistance would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Have you installed HPLIP from Symantec?

ups... i've dumped it late and to the wrong place. soory. :-)

Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 00:39 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:20:45 -0600, Roy Strachan wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I've been grappling with a strange problem ever since I upgraded to
> > Lucid. Whenever I plug in a printer HP inkjet 3900(USB) which worked
> > fine with the previous version, I get a message saying that the system
> > is searching for drivers but this just stays on the screen even when
> > left overnight with internet access on. But my multifunction Samsung
> > 2160 installed without any hassle because I downloaded a linux driver
> > for it.
> > How can I get around this? Your assistance would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Have you installed HPLIP from Symantec?

HPLIP is in Ubuntu Software Centre. It should include hpijs.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Rafiq Hajat

Thanks for your help guys, I installed HPLIP from the repository and
it's all good.
Cheers
--
Rafiq Hajat <ipi.malawi@gmail.com>