Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Bill Stanley

Default Batch file

A friend of mine has a bad habit of opening too many instances of the firefox
browser. I've told her that it is unnecessary to create a new instance when it
is easier and faster to just create a new tab. She tries to open a tab instead
and likes it. The problem is that it is an ingrained habit with her and she
reverts back to opening a new instance instead of opening a new tab. As a
result, she often runs short on memory and the computer slows down when forced
to use swap memory. (Her computer is a mid-aged laptop with the RAM maxed out
to 2 GBytes.)

That is the background. A possible solution is to replace the launcher for
Firefox with a batch file (or script) which will launch Firefox after checking
if the Firefox program is running. I envision a batch file (or script) that
would run ps to check if it firefox is a running process. If it is a running
process, the batch file would ask if she really wants another instance of
firefox. It seems like an easy thing to do. (I often created old DOS batch
files and these should be very similar to Linux batch files (or scripts). Any
ideas about better ways of doing this or suggestions on how to implement this?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
"Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari"

Il 06/29/2011 06:05 PM, Bill Stanley ha scritto:
> A friend of mine has a bad habit of opening too many instances of the
> firefox browser. I've told her that it is unnecessary to create a new
> instance when it is easier and faster to just create a new tab. She
> tries to open a tab instead and likes it. The problem is that it is an
> ingrained habit with her and she reverts back to opening a new instance
> instead of opening a new tab. As a result, she often runs short on
> memory and the computer slows down when forced to use swap memory. (Her
> computer is a mid-aged laptop with the RAM maxed out to 2 GBytes.)
>
> That is the background. A possible solution is to replace the launcher
> for Firefox with a batch file (or script) which will launch Firefox
> after checking if the Firefox program is running. I envision a batch
> file (or script) that would run ps to check if it firefox is a running
> process. If it is a running process, the batch file would ask if she
> really wants another instance of firefox. It seems like an easy thing
> to do. (I often created old DOS batch files and these should be very
> similar to Linux batch files (or scripts). Any ideas about better ways
> of doing this or suggestions on how to implement this?

AFAIK is already the case. First, firefox is a link to a script, I did
not read the script, but if you click on the firefox menu entry, you
still have only one firefox-bin process running...

--
Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari
Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas

Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Donald Talbert

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 11:05 -0500, Bill Stanley wrote:
> A friend of mine has a bad habit of opening too many instances of the firefox
> browser. I've told her that it is unnecessary to create a new instance when it
> is easier and faster to just create a new tab. She tries to open a tab instead
> and likes it. The problem is that it is an ingrained habit with her and she
> reverts back to opening a new instance instead of opening a new tab. As a
> result, she often runs short on memory and the computer slows down when forced
> to use swap memory. (Her computer is a mid-aged laptop with the RAM maxed out
> to 2 GBytes.)
>
> That is the background. A possible solution is to replace the launcher for
> Firefox with a batch file (or script) which will launch Firefox after checking
> if the Firefox program is running. I envision a batch file (or script) that
> would run ps to check if it firefox is a running process. If it is a running
> process, the batch file would ask if she really wants another instance of
> firefox. It seems like an easy thing to do. (I often created old DOS batch
> files and these should be very similar to Linux batch files (or scripts). Any
> ideas about better ways of doing this or suggestions on how to implement this?

That's not going to work really, Firefox only starts 1 process even if
more than 1 window is open. Even if it did start more than 1 instance
Linux shared libraries would share ram usage. Heres how your fix your
ram issue, the easy way. Changing your firefox settings instead.

In the address bar type: about:config
goto browser.cache.disk.capacity and set between 20000 to 50000
goto browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value and set to above value.

Also read these:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache.memory.capacity
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache.memory.enable
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers

--
Donald Talbert <donaldtalbert@gmail.com>

Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 11:05 -0500, Bill Stanley wrote:
> A friend of mine has a bad habit of opening too many instances of the firefox
> browser. I've told her that it is unnecessary to create a new instance when it
> is easier and faster to just create a new tab.

Probably because when she clicks on a URL, say like in an email, her
firefox preference is set to open a new window instead of a new tab?
Linux user# 44256

Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Javier Revilla

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 11:05 -0500, Bill Stanley wrote:
> A friend of mine has a bad habit of opening too many instances of the firefox
> browser. I've told her that it is unnecessary to create a new instance when it
> is easier and faster to just create a new tab. She tries to open a tab instead
> and likes it. The problem is that it is an ingrained habit with her and she
> reverts back to opening a new instance instead of opening a new tab. As a
> result, she often runs short on memory and the computer slows down when forced
> to use swap memory. (Her computer is a mid-aged laptop with the RAM maxed out
> to 2 GBytes.)
>
> That is the background. A possible solution is to replace the launcher for
> Firefox with a batch file (or script) which will launch Firefox after checking
> if the Firefox program is running. I envision a batch file (or script) that
> would run ps to check if it firefox is a running process. If it is a running
> process, the batch file would ask if she really wants another instance of
> firefox. It seems like an easy thing to do. (I often created old DOS batch
> files and these should be very similar to Linux batch files (or scripts). Any
> ideas about better ways of doing this or suggestions on how to implement this?

Maybe you could tell her to do Ctrl-T instead of Ctrl-N ?

Javier