Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Avi

Default KDE on Natty

Jim Byrnes wrote:

> I am experimenting with KDE on Natty in Vbox. On the initial setup I
> choose GDM now I would like to see it using KDM. I uninstalled and
> re-installed the standard kde desktop but that did not give me a
> choice between GDM & KDM.
>
> What do I need to do to try it using KDM?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

Will ask which you want to use.

--
Avi

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 6/28/2011 5:36 PM, Avi wrote:
> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I am experimenting with KDE on Natty in Vbox. On the initial setup I
>> choose GDM now I would like to see it using KDM. I uninstalled and
>> re-installed the standard kde desktop but that did not give me a
>> choice between GDM & KDM.
>> What do I need to do to try it using KDM?
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
>
> Will ask which you want to use.

Why did you not just do: apt-get install kubuntu-desktop?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Jim Byrnes

On 06/28/2011 05:39 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

On 6/28/2011 5:36 PM, Avi wrote:

Jim Byrnes wrote:

I am experimenting with KDE on Natty in Vbox. On the initial setup I
choose GDM now I would like to see it using KDM. I uninstalled and
re-installed the standard kde desktop but that did not give me a
choice between GDM& KDM.
What do I need to do to try it using KDM?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

Will ask which you want to use.

Why did you not just do: apt-get install kubuntu-desktop?

Because I tend to think Synaptic before the terminal and googling popped
up the advice to install kde desktop standard from Synaptic.

Regards, Jim

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 6/28/2011 7:38 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Because I tend to think Synaptic before the terminal and googling popped
> up the advice to install kde desktop standard from Synaptic.

You can do the same from synaptic, or software centre, or any manager.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Jim Byrnes