Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Where does Synaptic store its downloaded files

I was about half way through the down loading files portion of
installing kde when I realized I had made a mistake and canceled the
installation.

Where would the downloaded files be and what would be the best way to
delete them? I haven't closed Synaptic if that makes any difference.

Thanks, Jim

Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM
"Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari"

Il 06/28/2011 09:46 PM, Jim Byrnes ha scritto:
> I was about half way through the down loading files portion of
> installing kde when I realized I had made a mistake and canceled the
> installation.
>
> Where would the downloaded files be and what would be the best way to
> delete them? I haven't closed Synaptic if that makes any difference.
>
> Thanks, Jim

First, there is no need to delete those files, unless you are _really_
short of diskspace Anyhow, the files are stored in
/var/cache/apt/archives/

You may delete it either using rm or, better, using

sudo apt-get clean

TH

--
Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari
Aliae nationes servitutem pati possunt populi romani est propria libertas

Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Jim Byrnes

I was about half way through the down loading files portion of
installing kde when I realized I had made a mistake and canceled the
installation.

Where would the downloaded files be and what would be the best way to
delete them? I haven't closed Synaptic if that makes any difference.

Thanks, Jim

First, there is no need to delete those files, unless you are _really_
short of diskspace Anyhow, the files are stored in
/var/cache/apt/archives/

You may delete it either using rm or, better, using

sudo apt-get clean

TH

Leo,

Thanks, sudo apt-get clean worked. No, disk space is not short but I
can remember the old days when it was and tend to want to clean up.

Regards, Jim

Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Tue, June 28, 2011 22:29, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 06/28/2011 03:09 PM, Leo "TheHobbit" Cacciari wrote:
>> Il 06/28/2011 09:46 PM, Jim Byrnes ha scritto:
>>> I was about half way through the down loading files portion of
>>> installing kde when I realized I had made a mistake and canceled the
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> Where would the downloaded files be and what would be the best way to
>>> delete them? I haven't closed Synaptic if that makes any difference.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Jim
>>>

>> First, there is no need to delete those files, unless you are _really_
>> short of diskspace Anyhow, the files are stored in
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/
>>
>> You may delete it either using rm or, better, using
>>
>> sudo apt-get clean
>>
>> TH
>>

> Leo,
>
> Thanks, sudo apt-get clean worked. No, disk space is not short but I
> can remember the old days when it was and tend to want to clean up.

From man apt-get:

clean
clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package
files. It
removes everything but the lock file from
/var/cache/apt/archives/ and
/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When APT is used as a dselect(1)
method, clean is run automatically. Those who do not use
dselect will
likely want to run apt-get clean from time to time to free up disk
space.

autoclean
Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved
package files. The difference is that it only removes package
files
that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless. This
allows
a cache to be maintained over a long period without it growing
out of
control. The configuration option APT::Clean-Installed will
prevent
installed packages from being erased if it is set to off.