Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Bill Walton

Default video card recommendation ?

I'm converting a Dell workstation from Windows to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
The box currently has a PNY video card with 2 hdmi outputs. Ubuntu
doesn't recognize it as usable. I was able to install using the Live
CD, selecting an option that said something like 'run in low
resolution once' but upon completion of the install I'm getting a 'no
signal' message on the monitor when I try to boot the system. I'm
guessing that I need to replace the video card with one that Ubuntu
recognizes. If possible, I'd be very happy to find out that there's
something I can do to continue using the PNY card. Anyone got helpful
info? If not, is there a list somewhere to guide my purchase of a new
card?

TIA,
Bill

Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

I have tried several graphics card among them Gigabyte 9600 is most. Then two three ATI mobility graphics card. But I will prefer Nvdia chipset. ----------------------------------------------------------

Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh
Follow Me Twiter

Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Stephen Kuhn

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 07:29 -0500, Bill Walton wrote:
> I'm converting a Dell workstation from Windows to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
> The box currently has a PNY video card with 2 hdmi outputs. Ubuntu
> doesn't recognize it as usable. I was able to install using the Live
> CD, selecting an option that said something like 'run in low
> resolution once' but upon completion of the install I'm getting a 'no
> signal' message on the monitor when I try to boot the system. I'm
> guessing that I need to replace the video card with one that Ubuntu
> recognizes. If possible, I'd be very happy to find out that there's
> something I can do to continue using the PNY card. Anyone got helpful
> info? If not, is there a list somewhere to guide my purchase of a new
> card?
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Get yerself a really nice nVidia card and be done with all the BS mate.
--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Alan Pope

On 28 June 2011 13:29, Bill Walton <bwalton.im@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm converting a Dell workstation from Windows to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
> The box currently has a PNY video card with 2 hdmi outputs. *Ubuntu
> doesn't recognize it as usable.

Boot from a live CD and run:-

lshw -C video

or

lspci

This will tell you exactly what the card is. It may well be supported
and able to run Ubuntu fine.

Al.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM
David Fletcher

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 00:06 +1000, Stephen Kuhn wrote:

> Get yerself a really nice nVidia card and be done with all the BS mate.

It depends on the application. If all you're doing is email, browsing,
word processing etc. there's no point spending a load of money. Plus the
more expensive the board, the more electricity it's likely to consume.
There's no point in paying for power you're not going to use.

The last one I bought, for my son's new PC, is an Asus manufactured,
fanless, ATI chipped board, cost about 30 quid I think and it's
absolutely perfect for the application.

Dave

Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 16:28 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 00:06 +1000, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > >

> > Get yerself a really nice nVidia card and be done with all the BS mate.
>
> It depends on the application. If all you're doing is email, browsing,
> word processing etc. there's no point spending a load of money. Plus the
> more expensive the board, the more electricity it's likely to consume.
> There's no point in paying for power you're not going to use.
>
> The last one I bought, for my son's new PC, is an Asus manufactured,
> fanless, ATI chipped board, cost about 30 quid I think and it's
> absolutely perfect for the application.

I have had my best luck with nVidia cards. Even old crusty ones, like a
5500 will do fine. They go for $20-30 online. More vram the better
though, get 256 meg or better. I crowd the heck out of my video cards,
running some pretty intensive 3D applications. Myself, I've seen way too
many people weeping at their ATI's performance in forums, especially
with Linux. My two cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Donald Talbert

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 23:01 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 16:28 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 00:06 +1000, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > > >

> > > Get yerself a really nice nVidia card and be done with all the BS mate.
> >
> > It depends on the application. If all you're doing is email, browsing,
> > word processing etc. there's no point spending a load of money. Plus the
> > more expensive the board, the more electricity it's likely to consume.
> > There's no point in paying for power you're not going to use.
> >
> > The last one I bought, for my son's new PC, is an Asus manufactured,
> > fanless, ATI chipped board, cost about 30 quid I think and it's
> > absolutely perfect for the application.
>
> I have had my best luck with nVidia cards. Even old crusty ones, like a
> 5500 will do fine. They go for $20-30 online. More vram the better
> though, get 256 meg or better. I crowd the heck out of my video cards,
> running some pretty intensive 3D applications. Myself, I've seen way too
> many people weeping at their ATI's performance in forums, especially
> with Linux. My two cents, Ric

> Linux user# 44256

I have a Nvidia card in this machine and a ATI on my other. I had to
tinker with my ATI system's xorg but the Nvidia system always configures
it's self properly.

I can tell you from not only experience on my own PCs but working on
other Ubuntu systems. ATI sometimes just doesn't work correctly even
after you install the drivers, sometimes you have to change a few
settings. Mostly in your xorg though. Every Nvidia card I installed for
a Ubuntu user "just worked" fine before drivers (no HW acceleration) and
better after (with HW acceleration). Like I said thats just my
observations...

Nvidia might cost a bit more cash than ATI but its worth it, the last
thing you need to worry about IMO is your display working correctly.
Plus you might even be able to help some of the Nvidia open source
driver projects they are working on, they are making quite a bit of
progress with Nvidia card support.

Honestly though if you can provide us some more information about your
machine, theres a very very good chance its just simple setting that
needs changed. Saving yourself some $$$ and maybe time.

Just my 2 cents

--
Donald Talbert <donaldtalbert@gmail.com>

Old 07-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday, July 01, 2011 1:11:52 am Donald Talbert wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 23:01 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> > > It depends on the application. If all you're doing is email, browsing,
> > > word processing etc. there's no point spending a load of money. Plus
> > > the more expensive the board, the more electricity it's likely to
> > > consume. There's no point in paying for power you're not going to use.
> > >
> > > The last one I bought, for my son's new PC, is an Asus manufactured,
> > > fanless, ATI chipped board, cost about 30 quid I think and it's
> > > absolutely perfect for the application.
> >
> > I have had my best luck with nVidia cards. Even old crusty ones, like a
> > 5500 will do fine. They go for $20-30 online. More vram the better
> > though, get 256 meg or better. I crowd the heck out of my video cards,
> > running some pretty intensive 3D applications. Myself, I've seen way too
> > many people weeping at their ATI's performance in forums, especially
> > with Linux. My two cents, Ric
>
> I have a Nvidia card in this machine and a ATI on my other. I had to
> tinker with my ATI system's xorg but the Nvidia system always configures
> it's self properly.
>
> I can tell you from not only experience on my own PCs but working on
> other Ubuntu systems. ATI sometimes just doesn't work correctly even
> after you install the drivers, sometimes you have to change a few
> settings. Mostly in your xorg though. Every Nvidia card I installed for
> a Ubuntu user "just worked" fine before drivers (no HW acceleration) and
> better after (with HW acceleration). Like I said thats just my
> observations...
>
> Nvidia might cost a bit more cash than ATI but its worth it, the last
> thing you need to worry about IMO is your display working correctly.
> Plus you might even be able to help some of the Nvidia open source
> driver projects they are working on, they are making quite a bit of
> progress with Nvidia card support.

This is absolutely amazing! For years I have seen nothing but daily Nvidia
problems on this list so have gone out my way to stay away from them AND
recommend my 50+ users to go ATI which of course always just works out of the
box with no tinkering. Now the whole group of you is touting Nvidia? Does
misery love company or what is the deal? Ah! Wait, ...if you guys actually
got it working you can be seen as an "expert"?!! Ok, I get it!! But no, I do
not recommend Nvidia for anything serious.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 07-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/02/2011 11:56 AM, Pastor JW wrote:
> This is absolutely amazing! For years I have seen nothing but daily Nvidia
> problems on this list so have gone out my way to stay away from them AND
> recommend my 50+ users to go ATI which of course always just works out of the
> box with no tinkering. Now the whole group of you is touting Nvidia? Does
> misery love company or what is the deal? Ah! Wait, ...if you guys actually
> got it working you can be seen as an "expert"?!! Ok, I get it!! But no, I do
> not recommend Nvidia for anything serious.

Well, I'm going to be honest and yes I'm a bit objective, Nvidia does
work quite a bit better than it did in the past as of late, but AMD
still has the best graphics and compatibility, hands down.

I have to side with you on the latter too, I would never recommend
Nvidia to anybody coming to Linux, I would always point them to the AMD
that is a generation behind (because it's cheaper but still plays very
well.)