Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Steve Lamb

Default Ubuntu netbook edition or desktop edition ?

On 06/28/2011 04:07 AM, Icarus Alive wrote:

I don't like the "dumbed-down" UI, and prefer the more familiar Ubuntu
Classic UI.

If this is the case, go with the normal desktop.

Does the Netbook edition do a better job of typical Netbook hardware
support, has better power-management, or is somehow hard-disk space & RAM
optimized ?

It does none of these. The only difference between the two is the interface.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do

Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

After sho the configuration I will prefer Netbook Edition instead of Desktop Edition. ----------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

Follow Me Twiter
Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman

Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Alan Pope

On 28 June 2011 13:17, Md Ashickur Rahman Noor <ashickur.noor@gmail.com> wrote:
> After sho the configuration I will prefer Netbook Edition instead of Desktop
> Edition.

In 11.04 there is no longer a "Netbook" edition. There is a Unity
interface which looks like the 10.10 netbook edition however. A
default install of 11.04 will have Unity and 'Classic' GNOME. You can
choose whichever you prefer at logon time, but it's one install.

Al.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Alan Pope

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Donald Talbert

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 13:27 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 28 June 2011 13:17, Md Ashickur Rahman Noor <ashickur.noor@gmail.com> wrote:
> > After sho the configuration I will prefer Netbook Edition instead of Desktop
> > Edition.
>
> In 11.04 there is no longer a "Netbook" edition. There is a Unity
> interface which looks like the 10.10 netbook edition however. A
> default install of 11.04 will have Unity and 'Classic' GNOME. You can
> choose whichever you prefer at logon time, but it's one install.
>
> Al.

If I had a newer EEEpc (I have the original 401) I'd give 11.04 a shot
that is, if you don't mind the Unity interface. It'll give you a tad bit
more vertical viewing space.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:13:57 -0400
Donald Talbert <donaldtalbert@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I had a newer EEEpc (I have the original 401) I'd give 11.04 a shot
> that is, if you don't mind the Unity interface. It'll give you a tad
> bit more vertical viewing space.

I keep hearing that. I have my non-Unity panels set to disappear when
not moused-over. Where may more vertical space be had for me?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Donald Talbert

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 10:05 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:13:57 -0400
> Donald Talbert <donaldtalbert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If I had a newer EEEpc (I have the original 401) I'd give 11.04 a shot
> > that is, if you don't mind the Unity interface. It'll give you a tad
> > bit more vertical viewing space.
>
> I keep hearing that. I have my non-Unity panels set to disappear when
> not moused-over. Where may more vertical space be had for me?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
> --
> Nice computers don't go down.
> Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
> "The Barsoom Project"

Well with that modification, none then.

--
Donald Talbert <donaldtalbert@gmail.com>

Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Avi Greenbury

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> I keep hearing that. I have my non-Unity panels set to disappear when
> not moused-over. Where may more vertical space be had for me?

You lose it, in fact, since the unty panel/menu bar is thicker than a
normal in-window menu bar, and you can neither make it thinner nor
set it to autohide.

--
Avi