Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Chuck Peters

Default 11.04 firewall not on by default??

Wes James said:

> I thought all (most??) linux distros (all i've used in the past -
> redhat, fedor, opensuse) had a firewall on by default. This sight
> even says 11.04 has a firewall on by default:

I think the site is wrong. Linux Desktop distributions as well as
servers do not typically have firewalls by default. The default
installs do not install services that open ports unless you add services
like ssh and postgres.

Even if you install ssh and postgres you may not need a firewall. You
can configure postgres to only listen to localhost and require ssh
authorization keys.

Chuck

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Chuck Peters

Avi said:

> I thought the default was to drop unexpected incoming packets, but I'm
> not certain. Either way, I'd not use installing SSH and finding SSH
> working as a test of whether there's a firewall or not.

It is easy to test since almost all firewall frontends use iptables,
older kernels had something else years ago...

No firewall:
$ sudo iptables -L
[sudo] password for cp:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Firewall enabled via shorewall, and I won't include all the output:
cp@mintaka:~$ sudo iptables -L
[sudo] password for cp:
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target prot opt source destination
dynamic all -- anywhere anywhere ctstate INVALID,NEW
eth0_in all -- anywhere anywhere
eth2_in all -- anywhere anywhere
loc2fw all -- anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
Reject all -- anywhere anywhere
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere LOG level info prefix `Shorewall:INPUT:REJECT:'
reject all -- anywhere anywhere [goto]

Chuck

Tue Jun 28 02:30:02 2011