Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Wes James

Default 11.04 firewall not on by default??

I installed ubuntu 11.04 and thought a firewall was on by default. It
seems that it is not. I installed sshd and postgresql and was able to
remote in to them both (ssh user@host and psql -h host -U user -d db)
without configuring any firewall settings.

I then installed ufw and then things were blocked by default and I
opened the ssh and pg ports with the gui tool.

I thought all (most??) linux distros (all i've used in the past -
redhat, fedor, opensuse) had a firewall on by default. This sight
even says 11.04 has a firewall on by default:

http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/05/13/firewall-for-ubuntu-11-04/

So why does it seem there is no firewall "on" when 11.04 is installed?

Thanks,

-wes

Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Alan Pope

On 27 June 2011 23:13, Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed ubuntu 11.04 and thought a firewall was on by default.

No, we don't ship with the firewall configured by default.

> I installed sshd and postgresql and was able to
> remote in to them both (ssh user@host and psql -h host -U user -d db)
> without configuring any firewall settings.

That is "normal".

> I thought all (most??) linux distros (all i've used in the past -
> redhat, fedor, opensuse) had a firewall on by default. *This sight
> even says 11.04 has a firewall on by default:

Nope. We ship with no ports open by default. So you had to actively
install an ssh server, at which point you can make the decision about
whether to firewall it or not.

> http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/05/13/firewall-for-ubuntu-11-04/

"Natty Narwhal or any other Linux distros is very secure by default as
they have built in firewalls running by default. "

That's questionable. We have a firewall "on" by default in that it's
based on iptables built into the kernel, but nothing is configured as
blocked by default, because we don't ship any open ports by default as
I said.

Al.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Avi

Wes James wrote:

> I installed ubuntu 11.04 and thought a firewall was on by default. It
> seems that it is not. I installed sshd and postgresql and was able to
> remote in to them both (ssh user@host and psql -h host -U user -d db)
> without configuring any firewall settings.

This has long been a point of contention - whether the installation of
a listening service should add the relevant rules, or whether it
should be up to the user to do so when they're satisfied that they've
configured it as they wish.

I thought the default was to drop unexpected incoming packets, but I'm
not certain. Either way, I'd not use installing SSH and finding SSH
working as a test of whether there's a firewall or not.

--
Avi