Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 AM
chris

Default Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 17:48 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 05:37 PM, Avi wrote:
> > Jesse Palser wrote:
<snip>

> Thanks for the reply.
> The design direction of Ubuntu
> is not agreeing with my stomach.
>
> I'm on Ubuntu 11.04 64Bit now with classic gnome 2.3.
> I absolutely hate Unity desktop and Gnome 3 about the same.
> Force feeding a terribly designed desktop environment
> is a terrible policy and does not go well with the original values of
> Ubuntu.

Agreed
> I think many have left Ubuntu for other distrobutions.
> Just wondering what other people use and recommend.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JeZ+Lee

Mint Debian edition

Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Jesse Palser

Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Hi,

Been using Ubuntu for years, but it is time for a change.
Many believe like me that Ubuntu design is deteriorating rapidly.

I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace Ubuntu.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

JeZ+Lee

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
"compdoc"

>I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace
>Ubuntu. Anyone have any suggestions?

There's really only 2 desktop OSes out there worth messing with: Ubuntu and
Fedora. Both are experimenting with alternative desktops.

I use Ubuntu for my servers, so if that's what you're going for, Centos is a
great alternative. Someday, they'll even release Centos 6 - maybe in time
for Christmas...

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Jonathan Dlouhy

Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Hi,

Been using Ubuntu for years, but it is time for a change.
Many believe like me that Ubuntu design is deteriorating rapidly.

I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace Ubuntu.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

JeZ+Lee

If you're OK with KDE, Mageia, openSUSE come to mind. If you want fast
with ultimate flexibility, then Arch works quite well. Not for the faint
of heart, although if you follow the excellent wiki it's quite simple.

Jon

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 PM
ANDY

Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?
Some good summaries are below.
*
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Avi

Jesse Palser wrote:
> Been using Ubuntu for years, but it is time for a change.
> Many believe like me that Ubuntu design is deteriorating rapidly.
>
> I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace Ubuntu.
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Well, it depends upon exactly what you dislike about Ubuntu. If it's
purely the design changes, you could just use Gnome 2 on Ubuntu.

What, apart from the design, do you particularly like or dislike about
Ubuntu?

--
Avi

Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Jesse Palser

I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace
Ubuntu. Anyone have any suggestions?

There's really only 2 desktop OSes out there worth messing with: Ubuntu and
Fedora. Both are experimenting with alternative desktops.

I use Ubuntu for my servers, so if that's what you're going for, Centos is a
great alternative. Someday, they'll even release Centos 6 - maybe in time
for Christmas...

jHi,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm downloading Centos 5 LiveCD now
and will install it into a VirtualBox VM afterwards
to try and evaluate it.

JeZ+Lee

Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Jesse Palser

Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Hi,

Been using Ubuntu for years, but it is time for a change.
Many believe like me that Ubuntu design is deteriorating rapidly.

I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace Ubuntu.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

JeZ+Lee

If you're OK with KDE, Mageia, openSUSE come to mind. If you want fast
with ultimate flexibility, then Arch works quite well. Not for the
faint of heart, although if you follow the excellent wiki it's quite
simple.

Jon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I tried(on several occasions) to install Arch Linux,
but could not get to a Gnome desktop.

I would like to use Arch,
but I need a very simple step-by-step guide(not the wiki)
to install it with Gnome desktop environment.

Thanks!

JeZ+Lee

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Jonathan Dlouhy

[...]

If you can read you can do it, the instructions are very clear and accurate.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Tony Arnold

Jesse,

On 27/06/11 22:24, Jesse Palser wrote:

> Been using Ubuntu for years, but it is time for a change.
> Many believe like me that Ubuntu design is deteriorating rapidly.
>
> I'm looking for the best Linux Operating System to replace Ubuntu.
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you excluding Ubuntu derivatives from your search? If not, then Mint
might be an option. Ubuntu but without Unity (plus a few other bits and
pieces)!

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security, Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082