Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Billie Walsh

Default Deja Vu all over again!

I came to Linux when KDE 3.x was pretty mature. When KDE 4. was first
released there was a huge uproar. It was different. Much ash clothe and
gnashing of teeth. Much, "I'm going to (insert version name here)." [
OK, I'll admit that when it was first released it was a mess, but I
think it has matured a lot already ]

Now Ubuntu is making sweeping changes. More ash clothe and gnashing of
teeth. More, "I'm going to (insert version name here)."

Does it strike anyone besides myself as amusing just how resistant to
change the (K)Ubuntu/Linux community is?

I think the real winners are those that embrace the change and move on
with it. At least for the most part it has worked out that way in my
case. I'm quite happy with KDE 4.x, and have been for some time.

Someone once said. "The only constant is change." [ or something to that
effect ]

Usually towards entropy.

_ _... ..._ _
_._._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
"compdoc"

>Someone once said. "The only constant is change." [ or something to
>that effect ]

Who was it that once said that Unity was crap? Oh, I think most of us...

Whatever happened to strength in numbers?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Billie Walsh wrote:

> I think the real winners are those that embrace the change and move
> on with it. At least for the most part it has worked out that way in
> my case. I'm quite happy with KDE 4.x, and have been for some time.
>
> Someone once said. "The only constant is change." [ or something to
> that effect ]

yeah, and if you're trying to introduce linux into the enterprise, i
hear that promising constant and unpredictable change is a real
selling point.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Avi

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> yeah, and if you're trying to introduce linux into the enterprise, i
> hear that promising constant and unpredictable change is a real
> selling point.

Constant and unpredictable? I can think of one major change in six
years (this one, to Unity), with another arguably-annoying one (the
buttons). Each has been much publicised before hitting an LTS, Unity is
not mandated now and the button switch was reversible.

Either way, Gnome 2.x development has ended - there will be an
inevitable switch either to Unity, Gnome 3 or some other DE.
There's no real option of just sticking with Gnome 2.

--
Avi

Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Avi

Billie Walsh wrote:
> I came to Linux when KDE 3.x was pretty mature. When KDE 4. was first
> released there was a huge uproar. It was different. Much ash clothe
> and gnashing of teeth. Much, "I'm going to (insert version name
> here)." [ OK, I'll admit that when it was first released it was a
> mess, but I think it has matured a lot already ]

It's immaterial what it did afterwards - what people were angry about
was how bad it was at release.

> Does it strike anyone besides myself as amusing just how resistant to
> change the (K)Ubuntu/Linux community is?

Complaints are always more noisy than support - you'll rarely get rabid
supporters of any change, especially since they'll have changed at some
point pre-release and the novelty's worn off by the time everyone else
has complained about it.

> I think the real winners are those that embrace the change and move on
> with it. At least for the most part it has worked out that way in my
> case. I'm quite happy with KDE 4.x, and have been for some time.

The winners are the ones that move before the old becomes obsolete and
after the new becomes stable. I don't dislike unity, but I'm very much
hoping it's not yet stabilised - there's much change I'd very much like
to see come. Gnome 2 is still available, for those for whom Unity isn't
finished enough.

Anyway, do we really need yet another thread complaining either about
unity or people complaining about unity?

--
Avi

Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Stephen Kuhn

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 15:17 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> >Someone once said. "The only constant is change." [ or something to
> >that effect ]
>
> Who was it that once said that Unity was crap? Oh, I think most of us...
>
> Whatever happened to strength in numbers?

Regardless of numbers, crap is crap. Putting pearls on a pig does not
make the pig any prettier.

For those of us that love to have heaps of opened windows, terminals,
editors and other assorted programs/browsers opened up and VISIBLE,
"shells" like Unity/Gnome-shell, are, well, crap.

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497

Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 PM
"compdoc"

>Putting pearls on a pig does not
>make the pig any prettier.

Pearls would make any barnyard animal look prettier. You have something
against pigs? That's racist.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 PM
David Fletcher

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 08:07 +1000, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 15:17 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> > >Someone once said. "The only constant is change." [ or something to
> > >that effect ]
> >
> > Who was it that once said that Unity was crap? Oh, I think most of us...
> >
> > Whatever happened to strength in numbers?
>
> Regardless of numbers, crap is crap. Putting pearls on a pig does not
> make the pig any prettier.

It was lipstick. Put on as much as you like, mascara and perfume too if
you want, and it's still a pig.

I've got it installed as a virtual machine that I can turn on at any
time, but for some reason I don't. I guess it's just not all that
wonderful.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 6/27/2011 6:20 PM, compdoc wrote:
> Pearls would make any barnyard animal look prettier. You have something
> against pigs? That's racist.

Maybe if it was a AAA Tahitian Peakcock Pearl.
Also, I didn't know pig was a race, you might mean Speciesist.
Most, if not all humans are are speciesists though, look around you.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Stephen Kuhn

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 17:20 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> >Putting pearls on a pig does not
> >make the pig any prettier.
>
> Pearls would make any barnyard animal look prettier. You have something
> against pigs? That's racist.

Having lived in SE Kentucky for a while, you're absolutely right.
However, I think pigs are best on the barbeque, not wearing pearls.
Pearls MAY look nice on cats, horses - even goats, but not pigs.

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497