Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Default Unity Configuration

OK I give up! Can anyone point me to where Unity stores its
configuration details, specifically the Launcher and its icons. I need
to change the text and default icon for several applications.

When Unity first started after a system upgrade it imported all the
details from the panel and this still seems to be a viable mechanism,
but direct editing in a terminal would be preferable.

Peter HB

Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 PM
David Nelson

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
> OK I give up! Can anyone point me to where Unity stores its configuration
> details, specifically the Launcher and its icons. I need to change the text
> and default icon for several applications.
>
> When Unity first started after a system upgrade it imported all the details
> from the panel and this still seems to be a viable mechanism, but direct
> editing in a terminal would be preferable.

Top right hand corner you got the Shutdown button menu. Open that menu
and the last entry is "System Settings". That takes you to all the
good stuff. HTH.

--
David Nelson

Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

OK I give up! Can anyone point me to where Unity stores its
configuration details, specifically the Launcher and its icons. I
need to change the text and default icon for several applications.

When Unity first started after a system upgrade it imported all the
details from the panel and this still seems to be a viable
mechanism, but direct editing in a terminal would be preferable.

Top right hand corner you got the Shutdown button menu. Open that
menu and the last entry is "System Settings". That takes you to all
the good stuff. HTH.

Thanks for the fast response but no it doesn't. There is nothing in
System Settings, even after installing CompizConfigSettings Manager,
that supports access to what I specified above. I want control of the
text and icons for applications in the Launcher.

Using the "Classic" i.e. Gnome 2 desktop one is able to right-click the
icon and edit the properties associated with the application. All I want
is that level of functionality in the "better" Unity desktop.

Peter HB

Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Alan Pope

On 27 June 2011 17:02, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
> Using the "Classic" i.e. Gnome 2 desktop one is able to right-click the icon
> and edit the properties associated with the application. All I want is that
> level of functionality in the "better" Unity desktop.

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/edit-ubuntu-unity-launcher-quicklist-with-unity-launcher-editor/

Any use to you?

I filed a bug when beta testing unity because there was no way to
manually maintain the properties of launcher items. I don't think such
a dialog is on the radar.

Al.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 06:15:49PM +0300, David Nelson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
> > OK I give up! Can anyone point me to where Unity stores its configuration
> > details, specifically the Launcher and its icons. I need to change the text
> > and default icon for several applications.
> >
> > When Unity first started after a system upgrade it imported all the details
> > from the panel and this still seems to be a viable mechanism, but direct
> > editing in a terminal would be preferable.
>
> Top right hand corner you got the Shutdown button menu. Open that menu
> and the last entry is "System Settings". That takes you to all the
> good stuff. HTH.

System Settings in the Shutdown menu? How intuitive! What in the hell
are those people smoking?

> --
> David Nelson

Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,
check the price of the beer.
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Stephen Kuhn

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 11:30 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> System Settings in the Shutdown menu? How intuitive! What in the hell
> are those people smoking?

Certainly not crack - if they were smoking crack, they'd have put it in
the "Games and Entertainment" module...so they must be inhaling petrol,
or someone on the dev team's been using M$ Windows a bit too much...

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497

Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 04:48 +1000, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 11:30 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
> > System Settings in the Shutdown menu? How intuitive! What in the hell
> > are those people smoking?
>
> Certainly not crack - if they were smoking crack, they'd have put it in
> the "Games and Entertainment" module...so they must be inhaling petrol,
> or someone on the dev team's been using M$ Windows a bit too much...

...huffing. That explains much. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Mister Jones

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 06:15:49PM +0300, David Nelson wrote:

> Hi,

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:

> > OK I give up! Can anyone point me to where Unity stores its configuration

> > details, specifically the Launcher and its icons. I need to change the text

> > and default icon for several applications.

> > When Unity first started after a system upgrade it imported all the details

> > from the panel and this still seems to be a viable mechanism, but direct

> > editing in a terminal would be preferable.

> Top right hand corner you got the Shutdown button menu. Open that menu

> and the last entry is "System Settings". That takes you to all the

> good stuff. HTH.

System Settings in the Shutdown menu? How intuitive! What in the hell

are those people smoking?

> --

> David Nelson

* * They need to rename this list to the "Lets All Whine About Unity List" has a nice ring to it.*--
Mister Jones*

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Colin Law

On 27 June 2011 16:10, Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
> OK I give up! Can anyone point me to where Unity stores its configuration
> details, specifically the Launcher and its icons. I need to change the text
> and default icon for several applications.
>
> When Unity first started after a system upgrade it imported all the details
> from the panel and this still seems to be a viable mechanism, but direct
> editing in a terminal would be preferable.

This may be useful
http://askubuntu.com/questions/13758/how-can-i-edit-create-new-launcher-items-in-unity-by-hand

Colin

Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Using the "Classic" i.e. Gnome 2 desktop one is able to right-click the icon
and edit the properties associated with the application. All I want is that
level of functionality in the "better" Unity desktop.

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/edit-ubuntu-unity-launcher-quicklist-with-unity-launcher-editor/

Any use to you?

I filed a bug when beta testing unity because there was no way to
manually maintain the properties of launcher items. I don't think such
a dialog is on the radar.

Al.

Alan,

I appreciate your input and it looks interesting, but all I really want
is to know where the configuration stuff is stored. I very much like to
be "hands-on" at the bits and bytes level so that, on my computers
things are done my way, not the way a 3rd party thinks they should be
done. ;-)

Peter HB