Old 02-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Matthias Andersson

Default kernel-img.conf

Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Han Pilmeyer

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 14:59 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

During the setup I looked at the details and saw a message "the
/etc/kernel-img.conf file needs to be updated. please read news.debian[1]."

I'm unable to find that file news.debian.

What exactly should the file state?

The current content of /etc/kernel-img.conf:
do_symlinks = yes
relative_links = yes
do_bootloader = no
do_bootfloppy = no
do_initrd = yes
link_in_boot = no
postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
postrm_hook** = /sbin/update-grub

I noticed the same thing last week. When you take a look at the /sbin/update-grub script you will notice two things:

The location of the news.debian file that you are looking for
That instead of /sbin/update-grub the new location is now /usr/sbin/update-grub

I believe this means that you should manually edit the kernel-img.conf file and change the location of update-grub.

--

Han Pilmeyer

pilux_at_pilmeyer_dot_nl

Old 02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Karl Larsen

Han Pilmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 14:59 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:
>

>> During the setup I looked at the details and saw a message "the
>> /etc/kernel-img.conf file needs to be updated. please read news.debian[1]."
>>
>> I'm unable to find that file news.debian.
>>
>> What exactly should the file state?
>>
>> The current content of /etc/kernel-img.conf:
>> do_symlinks = yes
>> relative_links = yes
>> do_bootloader = no
>> do_bootfloppy = no
>> do_initrd = yes
>> link_in_boot = no
>> postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
>> postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub
>>

> I noticed the same thing last week. When you take a look at
> the /sbin/update-grub script you will notice two things:
>
> 1. The location of the news.debian file that you are looking for
> 2. That instead of /sbin/update-grub the new location is
> now /usr/sbin/update-grub
>
> I believe this means that you should manually edit the kernel-img.conf
> file and change the location of update-grub.
>
> --
> Han Pilmeyer
> pilux_at_pilmeyer_dot_nl

I checked and found:

karl@karl-desktop:~$ locate update-grub
/sbin/update-grub
/usr/sbin/update-grub
/usr/share/man/man8/update-grub.8.gz
karl@karl-desktop:~$

So on my computer I have the same name file two places. What me
worry? :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Gerald Dachs

Quoting Han Pilmeyer <pilux@pilmeyer.nl>:

> On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 14:59 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:
>

>> During the setup I looked at the details and saw a message "the
>> /etc/kernel-img.conf file needs to be updated. please read news.debian[1]."
> I noticed the same thing last week. When you take a look at
> the /sbin/update-grub script you will notice two things:
>
> 1. The location of the news.debian file that you are looking for
> 2. That instead of /sbin/update-grub the new location is
> now /usr/sbin/update-grub
>
> I believe this means that you should manually edit the kernel-img.conf
> file and change the location of update-grub.

This message comes up with every kernel update for months already. It is
directed to the packager of the ubuntu kernel. The ubuntu users can safely
ignore it.

Gerald

Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Gerald Dachs

Old 02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 08:23:43AM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I checked and found:
>
> karl@karl-desktop:~$ locate update-grub
> /sbin/update-grub
> /usr/sbin/update-grub
>
> So on my computer I have the same name file two places. What me
> worry? :-)

Beats me:

jaska@scapa:~$ locate update-grub
/usr/sbin/update-grub
/usr/share/man/man8/update-grub.8.gz
/sbin/update-grub
jaska@scapa:~$ ll /usr/sbin/update-grub
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 36340 2007-09-11 00:08 /usr/sbin/update-grub
jaska@scapa:~$ ll /sbin/update-grub
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 466 2007-09-11 00:09 /sbin/update-grub

jaska@scapa:~$ cat /sbin/update-grub
#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper to warn user about kernel-img.conf move

Why worry at all?

--
Jaska

Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 PM