Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Alan Pope

Default ZTE MF110?

On 25 June 2011 20:51, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> It would help if you told us what sort of device this is and, maybe,
> give us a link to a website for it.

It's a 3g modem. 5 seconds and a search engine told me that.

It's tricky, sometimes these modems just work, sometimes they need a
bit of fiddling. I know sometimes the modem settings are wrong out of
the box. Most of the guides I've found online seem to indicate it's
okay.

Al.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 00:58 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 25 June 2011 20:51, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > It would help if you told us what sort of device this is and, maybe,
> > give us a link to a website for it.
> >

> It's a 3g modem. 5 seconds and a search engine told me that.

I think he was just trying to chide the OP into giving more information
when asking for assistance, at the start. But, it took you more than 5
seconds... you had to read the email, assimilate, click open a browser
or at least a new tab, then type, hit return, wait, read what it was...
more than a mere 5 seconds. Pull my other finger, Alan. Search engines
do indeed tell us a lot. The thing is is, who's problem is it so who
does the googling first?

So, for ducks, I entered "ZTE MF110 ubuntu 10.10" in google and there
are a bunch of links noted. Some report not so good. One guy reports
"Okay, I have installed a newer kernel (2.6.38 generic) and now
everything is working fine! I guess whatever the problem was got sorted
out in the update."

So there you have it. I just resent being the pivot man in a google
jerk. Took more than 5 seconds to do a decent job, too.

Linux user# 44256

Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/6/26 Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 00:58 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 25 June 2011 20:51, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> > It would help if you told us what sort of device this is and, maybe,
>> > give us a link to a website for it.
>> >

>> It's a 3g modem. 5 seconds and a search engine told me that.
>
> I think he was just trying to chide the OP into giving more information
> when asking for assistance, at the start. But, it took you more than 5
> seconds... you had to read the email, assimilate, click open a browser
> or at least a new tab, then type, hit return, wait, read what it was...
> more than a mere 5 seconds. Pull my other finger, Alan. Search engines
> do indeed tell us a lot. The thing is is, who's problem is it so who
> does the googling first?
>
> So, for ducks, I entered "ZTE MF110 ubuntu 10.10" in google and there
> are a bunch of links noted. Some report not so good. One guy reports
> "Okay, I have installed a newer kernel (2.6.38 generic) and now
> everything is working fine! I guess whatever the problem was got sorted
> out in the update."
>
> So there you have it. I just resent being the pivot man in a google
> jerk. Took more than 5 seconds to do a decent job, too.

> Linux user# 44256

I'm sorry for not giving more information, but what I wanted to know
was if someone on the list has one and if it worked out of the box, so
if you don't know what it is, I am pretty sure you don't have one…
However, when I read my original post I realise that I didn't say
specifically that I preferred replies from MF110-owners, sorry for
that.

I have also seen the MF110 online, but for some strange reason I only
saw those tested on older versions of Ubuntu, like 9.04 or something.
It seemed like some tricks were needed for making it work on those old
Ubuntu versions, so I kind of hoped that support for it were built in
to at least Ubuntu 10.10.

Anyway, it seems like no one who replied so far has the MF110, so I
guess I'd better search again.

Best regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Eero Volotinen

It should work fine.you usually need recent ubuntu and usb modeswitcher tool.

Eero

Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/6/26 Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>:
> It should work fine.you usually need recent ubuntu and usb modeswitcher
> tool.
>
> Eero

Thank you, neighbour…

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Tony Pursell

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 10:40 +0300, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> It should work fine.you usually need recent ubuntu and usb
> modeswitcher tool.

Just out interest, what is the usb modeswitcher tool needed for? And
what does it do? My 3g modem just works after being set up in 'Edit
Connections'.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Tony Pursell

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 00:12 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 00:58 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On 25 June 2011 20:51, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > It would help if you told us what sort of device this is and, maybe,
> > > give us a link to a website for it.
> > >

> > It's a 3g modem. 5 seconds and a search engine told me that.
>
> I think he was just trying to chide the OP into giving more information
> when asking for assistance, at the start. But, it took you more than 5
> seconds... you had to read the email, assimilate, click open a browser
> or at least a new tab, then type, hit return, wait, read what it was...
> more than a mere 5 seconds. Pull my other finger, Alan. Search engines
> do indeed tell us a lot. The thing is is, who's problem is it so who
> does the googling first?

Thanks Ric. I'm glad someone understands me

Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Alan Pope

On 26 June 2011 11:13, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Just out interest, what is the usb modeswitcher tool needed for? *And
> what does it do? *My 3g modem just works after being set up in 'Edit
> Connections'.

"Several new USB devices have their proprietary Windows drivers
onboard, especially WAN dongles. When plugged in for the first time,
they act like a flash storage and start installing the driver from
there. If the driver is already installed, the storage device vanishes
and a new device, such as an USB modem, shows up. This is called the
"ZeroCD" feature.
On Debian, this is not needed, since the driver is included as a Linux
kernel module, such as "usbserial". However, the device still shows up
as "usb-storage" by default. usb-modeswitch solves that issue by
sending the command which actually performs the switching of the
device from "usb-storage" to "usbserial".
This package contains the binaries and the brother scripts."

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/usb-modeswitch

Al.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Tony Pursell

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 11:18 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 26 June 2011 11:13, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Just out interest, what is the usb modeswitcher tool needed for? And
> > what does it do? My 3g modem just works after being set up in 'Edit
> > Connections'.
> >

> "Several new USB devices have their proprietary Windows drivers
> onboard, especially WAN dongles. When plugged in for the first time,
> they act like a flash storage and start installing the driver from
> there. If the driver is already installed, the storage device vanishes
> and a new device, such as an USB modem, shows up. This is called the
> "ZeroCD" feature.
> On Debian, this is not needed, since the driver is included as a Linux
> kernel module, such as "usbserial". However, the device still shows up
> as "usb-storage" by default. usb-modeswitch solves that issue by
> sending the command which actually performs the switching of the
> device from "usb-storage" to "usbserial".
> This package contains the binaries and the brother scripts."
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/usb-modeswitch
>
> Al.

Thanks Al.

Tony

Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 09:30 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2011/6/26 Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>:
> >> >

> >> It's a 3g modem. 5 seconds and a search engine told me that.
> >
> > I think he was just trying to chide the OP into giving more information
> > when asking for assistance, at the start. But, it took you more than 5
> > seconds... you had to read the email, assimilate, click open a browser
> > or at least a new tab, then type, hit return, wait, read what it was...
> > more than a mere 5 seconds. Pull my other finger, Alan. Search engines
> > do indeed tell us a lot. The thing is is, who's problem is it so who
> > does the googling first?
> >
> > So, for ducks, I entered "ZTE MF110 ubuntu 10.10" in google and there
> > are a bunch of links noted. Some report not so good. One guy reports
> > "Okay, I have installed a newer kernel (2.6.38 generic) and now
> > everything is working fine! I guess whatever the problem was got sorted
> > out in the update."
> >
> > So there you have it. I just resent being the pivot man in a google
> > jerk. Took more than 5 seconds to do a decent job, too.
> >

> > --
> > My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
> > "There are two Great Sins in the world...
> > ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
> > Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
> > Linux user# 44256
> >

> > --
> >

> I'm sorry for not giving more information, but what I wanted to know
> was if someone on the list has one and if it worked out of the box, so
> if you don't know what it is, I am pretty sure you don't have one…
> However, when I read my original post I realise that I didn't say
> specifically that I preferred replies from MF110-owners, sorry for
> that.
>
> I have also seen the MF110 online, but for some strange reason I only
> saw those tested on older versions of Ubuntu, like 9.04 or something.
> It seemed like some tricks were needed for making it work on those old
> Ubuntu versions, so I kind of hoped that support for it were built in
> to at least Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> Anyway, it seems like no one who replied so far has the MF110, so I
> guess I'd better search again.

I searched for 10.10 and the one guy said that with that kernel he was
OK. You might want to freeze 10.10 to that kernel if it works. Ric

Linux user# 44256