Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Dax Solomon Umaming

Default MESSAGE BODY TOO BIG ????????????????

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 3:55:08 pm Maxwell Schmart wrote:
> MAN, IT'S ONLY A COUPLE PARAGRAPHS, NOT 40K.
> What is wrong here?

I just released this message from the moderation queue. Anyway, this posts is
52.2KB in size. You're using Incredimail which attaches animated GIFs
(44.6KB). Try sending a text-only email, or use another email client like
Thunderbird.

--
Dax Solomon Umaming
http://knightlust.com/

Old 02-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Dax Solomon Umaming wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 3:55:08 pm Maxwell Schmart wrote:
>> MAN, IT'S ONLY A COUPLE PARAGRAPHS, NOT 40K.
>> What is wrong here?
>>

> I just released this message from the moderation queue. Anyway, this posts is
> 52.2KB in size. You're using Incredimail which attaches animated GIFs
> (44.6KB). Try sending a text-only email, or use another email client like
> Thunderbird.

Is it not possible to reject these messages and notify the sender that he has to
send text-only mails (notify automatically)? Or strip these stuff out before it
get send to all members of this list?

This is in his mail, too:

MAN, IT'S ONLY A COUPLE PARAGRAPHS, NOT 40K.=0D
What is wrong here?=0D
=0D
Hi, I'll start with the short version ...=0D
=0D
This is on a hard drive installation, not running from a CD.=0D
=0D
Something happened to my video mode and now my screen is in some
unrecognizable mode.=0D
=0D
Is there like a "safe mode", or a way to change the resolution/HZ to a
default that will work no matter what? A "hot key" perhaps, like Windows=
F8
whatever.=0D
=0D
This is an installation on a hard drive, so using safe mode booting from =
CD doesn't help me. The CD works fine.=0D
=0D
Related question: Is there a way to install Ubuntu using a non-destructi=
ve repair install option??

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Neil

On Feb 13, 2008 7:45 PM, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> Dax Solomon Umaming wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 February 2008 3:55:08 pm Maxwell Schmart wrote:
> >> MAN, IT'S ONLY A COUPLE PARAGRAPHS, NOT 40K.
> >> What is wrong here?
> >>

> > I just released this message from the moderation queue. Anyway, this posts is
> > 52.2KB in size. You're using Incredimail which attaches animated GIFs
> > (44.6KB). Try sending a text-only email, or use another email client like
> > Thunderbird.
> >

> Is it not possible to reject these messages and notify the sender that he has to
> send text-only mails (notify automatically)? Or strip these stuff out before it
> get send to all members of this list?

While we are commenting on the posting style used:
- There was HTML included in the mail. The Ubuntu netiquette says you
shouldn't. I have a 2048x1536 pixel screen so I can put a lot of text
on it, not just your mail.
- A TITLE ONLY IN CAPS???????? Come on, I was bored, so I read it, but
usually I'd ignore it. I do not like being shouted at, and since this
is a mailing list (with probably 100 users or so) you are shouting to
a hell of a lot of people.
It might be you didn't know the HTML was included, but the large font
and the caps can only be on purpose.

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Neil wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 7:45 PM, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
>> Dax Solomon Umaming wrote:
>>>>
>>> I just released this message from the moderation queue. Anyway, this posts is
>>> 52.2KB in size. You're using Incredimail which attaches animated GIFs
>>> (44.6KB). Try sending a text-only email, or use another email client like
>>> Thunderbird.
>>>

>> Is it not possible to reject these messages and notify the sender that he has to
>> send text-only mails (notify automatically)? Or strip these stuff out before it
>> get send to all members of this list?
>
> While we are commenting on the posting style used:
> - There was HTML included in the mail. The Ubuntu netiquette says you
> shouldn't. I have a 2048x1536 pixel screen so I can put a lot of text
> on it, not just your mail.
> - A TITLE ONLY IN CAPS???????? Come on, I was bored, so I read it, but
> usually I'd ignore it. I do not like being shouted at, and since this
> is a mailing list (with probably 100 users or so) you are shouting to
> a hell of a lot of people.
> It might be you didn't know the HTML was included, but the large font
> and the caps can only be on purpose.

Neil, is your reply for me or for Maxwell?

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Neil

On Feb 13, 2008 8:08 PM, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:

> Neil wrote:

> >> Is it not possible to reject these messages and notify the sender that he has to
> >> send text-only mails (notify automatically)? Or strip these stuff out before it
> >> get send to all members of this list?
> >
> > While we are commenting on the posting style used:
> > - There was HTML included in the mail. The Ubuntu netiquette says you
> > shouldn't. I have a 2048x1536 pixel screen so I can put a lot of text
> > on it, not just your mail.
> > - A TITLE ONLY IN CAPS???????? Come on, I was bored, so I read it, but
> > usually I'd ignore it. I do not like being shouted at, and since this
> > is a mailing list (with probably 100 users or so) you are shouting to
> > a hell of a lot of people.
> > It might be you didn't know the HTML was included, but the large font
> > and the caps can only be on purpose.
> >

> Neil, is your reply for me or for Maxwell?
Maxwell. He wrote in an irritating way.
btw: I am not angry, nor am I unwilling to help. I just do not have
the knowledge (yet), and I wanted to express my frustrations.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Paul

While we are commenting on the posting style used:
- There was HTML included in the mail. The Ubuntu netiquette says you
shouldn't. I have a 2048x1536 pixel screen so I can put a lot of text
on it, not just your mail.

- A TITLE ONLY IN CAPS???????? Come on, I was bored, so I read it, but
usually I'd ignore it. I do not like being shouted at, and since this
is a mailing list (with probably 100 users or so) you are shouting to

a hell of a lot of people.
It might be you didn't know the HTML was included, but the large font
and the caps can only be on purpose.

"Maxwell Shmart" smells like troll, to me.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:08:07 +0100
schrieb Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li>:

> Neil, is your reply for me or for Maxwell?

I was wondering too, but then I noticed that he is using gmail and
we know already that gmail has problems with threading

Gerald

Old 02-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Paul wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 1:56 PM, Neil <hok.krat@gmail.com
> <mailto:hok.krat@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> While we are commenting on the posting style used:
> - There was HTML included in the mail. The Ubuntu netiquette says you
> shouldn't. I have a 2048x1536 pixel screen so I can put a lot of text
> on it, not just your mail.
> - A TITLE ONLY IN CAPS???????? Come on, I was bored, so I read it, but
> usually I'd ignore it. I do not like being shouted at, and since this
> is a mailing list (with probably 100 users or so) you are shouting to
> a hell of a lot of people.
> It might be you didn't know the HTML was included, but the large font
> and the caps can only be on purpose.
>

> "Maxwell Shmart" smells like troll, to me.

Yes, I thought the same. That's way I asked to just automatically send a mail
that only text-only messages are accepted. And not forwarding by the mail list
maintainer.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Thomas Kaiser

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:08:07 +0100
> schrieb Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li>:
>
>> Neil, is your reply for me or for Maxwell?
>
> I was wondering too, but then I noticed that he is using gmail and
> we know already that gmail has problems with threading
>
> Gerald

OK, I just started to write a mail to ask why he replied to my mail.
But on the other hand some of my mail was included in his replay :-O

Neil, maybe it's gmail, if not try to respond to the mail you like to point to.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Neil

On Feb 13, 2008 8:38 PM, Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li> wrote:
> Gerald Dachs wrote:
> > Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:08:07 +0100
> > schrieb Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu@kaiser-linux.li>:
> >
> >> Neil, is your reply for me or for Maxwell?
> >
> > I was wondering too, but then I noticed that he is using gmail and
> > we know already that gmail has problems with threading
> >
> > Gerald
> >

> OK, I just started to write a mail to ask why he replied to my mail.
> But on the other hand some of my mail was included in his replay :-O
>
> Neil, maybe it's gmail, if not try to respond to the mail you like to point to.

I clicked on the reply button beneath your mail, because the
information included in your mail was important. I assumed he'd read
it, and didn't think it would cause confusion.
Gmail has no problems with threading that I know of. It just groups
the mails neatly into conversations so they are easy to read (I'd hate
to lose that perfect feature because people see it as a problem).