Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Mike Bullen

Default No valid fontpath found

I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid fonthpath.* I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?

Thank you
Mike Bullen --

Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Wulfy

Mike Bullen wrote:
I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server.
Installed xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no
valid fonthpath.* I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still
cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?

Thank you

Mike Bullen

Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop,
Xubuntu-desktop...]

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Gerald Dachs

Quoting Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:

> Mike Bullen wrote:
>> I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed
>> xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid
>> fonthpath. I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still
>> cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Mike Bullen
> Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop, Xubuntu-desktop...]

I don't believe that Mike would have chosen the server version if he want
to have all the desktop stuff.

Mike, I had success after installing the meta package x-window-system-core.
It depends on all packages you need for running startx.

Gerald

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Wulfy

Mike Bullen wrote:

I installed the server version 7.10. Installed X server. Installed
xinit. When I start X using startx I get the error message no valid
fonthpath. I tried sudo apt-get install fontconfig but still
cannot start X using startx?? Any solutions?

Thank you
Mike Bullen

Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop, Xubuntu-desktop...]

I don't believe that Mike would have chosen the server version if he want
to have all the desktop stuff.

Mike, I had success after installing the meta package x-window-system-core.
It depends on all packages you need for running startx.

Gerald

My mistake.* I assumed a desktop was needed to use X... so if he didn't
want a desktop, he wouldn't be installing X...

Old 02-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Gerald Dachs

Quoting Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:

> Gerald Dachs wrote:
>> Quoting Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:

>>> Install a *-desktop? [Ubuntu-desktop, Kubuntu-desktop, Xubuntu-desktop...]
>>>

>> I don't believe that Mike would have chosen the server version if he want
>> to have all the desktop stuff.
>>
>> Mike, I had success after installing the meta package x-window-system-core.
>> It depends on all packages you need for running startx.
>>
>> Gerald
> My mistake. I assumed a desktop was needed to use X... so if he didn't
> want a desktop, he wouldn't be installing X...

I have set up an ubuntu minimal installation with a minimal X installation
for a Video Disk Recorder. The only X applications are
xineliboutput-sxfe and mms that can be found here:
http://mymediasystem.org/.

I tell this only to give you an example for a X installation without desktop.

Gerald