Old 06-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Leo Noordhuizen

Default Printer advise

Hello everybody,
I am looking to buy a so called All-in-One printer to be used with Ubuntu.The past years I have been struggling with the incomplete support for a Canon printer, which apart from that did work fine.

Now I want to replace my HP scanner and Canon printer by a All-in-One.An important requierement is that it can automatically print on both sides of a sheet of paper, I.e. that it has an automatic duplex unit.

That leaves only a few printers.I would love to hear from people who have good experience with one of the All-in-One printers and the support for Ubuntu.
I am still waiting on a response from Epson and/or the supplier of the software for my new Epson Stylus Office BX525WD, as it refuses to print doublesided and can only print in the VERY slow high quality mode. If the problem isnt solved quickly, I will move it to my son.

Please give me advise...

Old 06-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Chris G

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:35:55PM +0200, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
> I would love to hear from people who have good experience with one of the
> All-in-One printers and the support for Ubuntu.

I have an HP 7310 All-in-one which works pretty well with Ubuntu, in
fact it works better in Ubuntu/Linux than it does in Windows IMHO.

--
Chris Green

Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM
sam tygier

[...]

there is a database of how well various printers work at
http://www.openprinting.org/printers

in general HP printers have very good support

Old 06-25-2011, 01:18 PM
David Fletcher

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 13:47 +0100, sam tygier wrote:
> On 25/06/11 12:35, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >

> there is a database of how well various printers work at
> http://www.openprinting.org/printers
>
> in general HP printers have very good support

With Epson printers there is a utility called escputil that you can use
for nozzle checks, head cleaning, reading ink levels etc.

Is there something similar for HP?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 PM
sam tygier

there is a database of how well various printers work at
http://www.openprinting.org/printers

in general HP printers have very good support

With Epson printers there is a utility called escputil that you can use
for nozzle checks, head cleaning, reading ink levels etc.

Is there something similar for HP?

there is hplip that has a toolbox
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

for my HP 6940 i can do
test page
align cartridges
clean cartridges
color calibration
see ink levels

its possible that some models dont allow all of this. site above has a big list of printers.

sam

Old 06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
David Fletcher

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 14:55 +0100, sam tygier wrote:

> there is hplip that has a toolbox
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
>
> for my HP 6940 i can do
> test page
> align cartridges
> clean cartridges
> color calibration
> see ink levels
>
> its possible that some models dont allow all of this. site above has a big list of printers.
>
> sam

Looks like it's a GUI type application. My printer is connected to the
server so that any desktop or laptop on the network can use it at any
time. I ssh into the server when I need to use escputil.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

I will suggest HP or Samsung Printer. ----------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

Follow Me Twiter
Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman

Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Linda

there is a database of how well various printers work at
http://www.openprinting.org/printers

in general HP printers have very good support

To check on scanner support
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 12:38 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:35:55PM +0200, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
> > I would love to hear from people who have good experience with one of the
> > All-in-One printers and the support for Ubuntu.
>
> I have an HP 7310 All-in-one which works pretty well with Ubuntu, in
> fact it works better in Ubuntu/Linux than it does in Windows IMHO.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-OfficeJet_7130

Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 14:55 +0100, sam tygier wrote:
> On 25/06/11 14:18, David Fletcher wrote:
> >>>

> >> there is a database of how well various printers work at
> >> http://www.openprinting.org/printers
> >>
> >> in general HP printers have very good support
> >>

> > With Epson printers there is a utility called escputil that you can use
> > for nozzle checks, head cleaning, reading ink levels etc.
> >
> > Is there something similar for HP?

> there is hplip that has a toolbox
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

You can install HPLIP from the Ubuntu Software Centre.