-   -   Ubuntu Boot Problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/54275-ubuntu-boot-problem.html)

"Sameera Shaakunthala" 02-13-2008 04:20 AM

Ubuntu Boot Problem

Hello,

I'm using an Acer Aspire 4315 laptop computer.
When I try to start up my computer with Ubuntu 7.04 (live) CD ROM, the following error message (and prompt) appears on a black screen, after loading the Linux Kernel.

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
(initramfs) _

Can you please help me with this problem? I just want to install Ubuntu.

Note: The same version of Kubuntu starts up very well on my computer, but personally I prefer Ubuntu.

Computer configuration:
CPU - Intel Celeron 1.73 GHz
HDD - 120 GB
RAM - 512 MB DDR2

--
..:Sameera Shaakunthala:..

"Raseel Bhagat" 02-13-2008 05:19 AM

Ubuntu Boot Problem

Hi,

I'm using an Acer Aspire 4315 laptop computer.
When I try to start up my computer with Ubuntu 7.04 (live) CD ROM, the following error message (and prompt) appears on a black screen, after loading the Linux Kernel.

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
(initramfs) _
Note: The same version of Kubuntu starts up very well on my computer, but personally I prefer Ubuntu.

You can edit the kernel options and add* the following :
-noacpi* -irqroll

This should boot your Ubuntu Live CD.

However, if that fails, you can try installing from an Alternate* Ubuntu CD.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://www.opensourcedeal.com/blog
*

Ranmadhu 02-13-2008 07:09 AM

Ubuntu Boot Problem

Sameera Shaakunthala wrote:

> Note: The same version of Kubuntu starts up very well on my computer,
> but personally I prefer Ubuntu.

If you like, you can install Kubuntu, then install the gnome-desktop
package. Then you can choose to log into the Gnome desktop when you're
logging in.

Ranmadhu

"Raseel Bhagat" 02-13-2008 08:21 AM

Ubuntu Boot Problem

Hi,

If you like, you can install Kubuntu, then install the gnome-desktop
package. Then you can choose to log into the Gnome desktop when you're
logging in.

*I don't see why you should install Kubuntu if you want Ubuntu. That should be the last recourse.

I'm pretty sure you can install and run Ubuntu successfully through the Alternate CD

Ranmadhu 02-13-2008 08:57 PM

Ubuntu Boot Problem

Sameera Shaakunthala wrote:
> BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
> (initramfs) _
>

> Can you please help me with this problem? I just want to install Ubuntu.

Have a look at this forum:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/binsh-cant-access-tty-job-control-turned-off-474493/

The problem posted there is the same as yours. I didn't have a proper
look through the discussions, but one person gave this:
http://blog.shevin.info/2007/04/how-did-i-fix-cant-acess-tty-in-feisty.html
as a solution.

Ranmadhu

'2+ 02-15-2008 12:55 AM

Ubuntu Boot Problem

maybe choosing the "driver install cd ..." at the 1st menu you see
when booting from the cd might help?
i asks you to install the driver cd but you just pretend that your
live7.04 is that ... i mean you will push the return key twice cuz the
system will ask you to
i was happy with this @ optiplex-gx150
but why not go 7.10
i think this problem disappeard when installing to my machine

hth

--
'2+
http://micro.ispretty.com

'2+ 02-15-2008 12:59 AM

Ubuntu Boot Problem

ooops ... maybe you don't want to install and go live .. excuse me

then i think 7.10 is what you should try

--
'2+
http://micro.ispretty.com