Old 02-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Willis Taylor

Default Should I?

I have been
very pleased with the support team for Ubuntu and my first full fledged
Ubuntu machine is running very well due to the help of the folks on
this forum.* I thought to be fair I would test Kubuntu 7.10 on my other
machine and did a duel boot there.* I seem, however, to be lost on the
Kubuntu and it seems to be less developed.* The driver on this system
for my ip4300 Canon was a snap but the only Pixma ip printer supported
in the Kubuntu is the model 4000.

I'm considering erasing the partition and installing Ubuntu on it
also.* I can't seem to get any answers to amount to very much on the
other list and you gents are Johnny on the spot.* What should I do?

Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Willis Taylor <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I have been very pleased with the support team for
> Ubuntu and my first
> full fledged Ubuntu machine is running very well due
> to the help of the
> folks on this forum. I thought to be fair I would
> test Kubuntu 7.10 on
> my other machine and did a duel boot there. I seem,
> however, to be lost
> on the Kubuntu and it seems to be less developed.
> The driver on this
> system for my ip4300 Canon was a snap but the only
> Pixma ip printer
> supported in the Kubuntu is the model 4000.
>
> I'm considering erasing the partition and installing
> Ubuntu on it also.
> I can't seem to get any answers to amount to very
> much on the other list
> and you gents are Johnny on the spot. What should I
> do?

To each his own. I came to ubuntu from kubuntu for the
same reason you did. I prefered the kubuntu-desktop,
seemed easier to use than ubuntu desktop, no flame
intended. I am currently using ubuntu-desktop and
getting used to it because of either a flaky alternate
cd I burned or a flaky computer and having to install
all the programs piece by piece. I can't comment to
intelligently on you driver problem but know there are
drivers other than cups which may have it but let the
experts have their say. Personally I have Ubuntu
installed with the Kubuntu-desktop added and can use
either one as I choose. This comes in handy when I
get instructions that I can't readily relate to in
Kubuntu, then I just switch to Ubu. I may be wrong
but I would think that the module/drivers would be
available to both. Can't go wrong by having both.
Have fun,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 AM
NoOp

On 02/12/2008 06:24 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Willis Taylor <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I have been very pleased with the support team for
>> Ubuntu and my first
>> full fledged Ubuntu machine is running very well due
>> to the help of the
>> folks on this forum. I thought to be fair I would
>> test Kubuntu 7.10 on
>> my other machine and did a duel boot there. I seem,
>> however, to be lost
>> on the Kubuntu and it seems to be less developed.
>> The driver on this
>> system for my ip4300 Canon was a snap but the only
>> Pixma ip printer
>> supported in the Kubuntu is the model 4000.
>>
>> I'm considering erasing the partition and installing
>> Ubuntu on it also.
>> I can't seem to get any answers to amount to very
>> much on the other list
>> and you gents are Johnny on the spot. What should I
>> do?
>>
> To each his own. I came to ubuntu from kubuntu for the
> same reason you did. I prefered the kubuntu-desktop,
> seemed easier to use than ubuntu desktop, no flame
> intended. I am currently using ubuntu-desktop and
> getting used to it because of either a flaky alternate
> cd I burned or a flaky computer and having to install
> all the programs piece by piece. I can't comment to
> intelligently on you driver problem but know there are
> drivers other than cups which may have it but let the
> experts have their say. Personally I have Ubuntu
> installed with the Kubuntu-desktop added and can use
> either one as I choose. This comes in handy when I
> get instructions that I can't readily relate to in
> Kubuntu, then I just switch to Ubu. I may be wrong
> but I would think that the module/drivers would be
> available to both. Can't go wrong by having both.
> Have fun,

And that's the beauty of Ubuntu (you can install both). I *much* prefer
Gnome, but use multiple kde apps (Krdc, Kexi, Kstars etc) on Gnome
without any problems.

For Willis: cups supports many Pixma printers now - I have an MP750 and
previously was using TurboPrint. However after cups added the MP750 I've
just been using that. If you have a problem in kde getting the printer
going (you shouldn't), try installing it in Gnome & when you switch to
your kubuntu desktop it should be there - I don't think that switching
to a kde desktop will change the cups printer settings.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Willis Taylor

NoOp wrote:

[...]

I'll boot
that machine in DR DOS then and see if I can get rid of just the
Kubuntu, leaving the WinXP for now and since I have the KDE desk top
and the printer is there on both desk tops I'll just do the same
there.* I.m not going to cause a non recoverable GRUB error and lose
the WinXP before I'm ready, am I.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Willis Taylor

--- Willis Taylor <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> <gods-servant@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for
the tip but I got ants in my pants and just installed Ubuntu on the
same partition and just left Kubuntu there with 7% of the forty gig I
allocated to the ext3 partition and will just never fire it up again.*
It should be fine until I learn how to back up all my Windows files and
photos to the Ubuntu so that I can use 120 gig for Ubuntu and not loose
everything I'm working on.

Once more, thanks for the tip.