-   -   Kernel panics on Asrock K7VT2. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/53998-kernel-panics-asrock-k7vt2.html)

Adam Funk 02-12-2008 08:19 PM

Kernel panics on Asrock K7VT2.

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 to try out the LVM-crypto stuff on an old
computer with (according to lshw) an ASRock K7VT2 motherboard, Athlon
XP 1800+ processor and 255MB of RAM. I carried out the upgrades and
it's now running (according to dmesg) "Linux version 2.6.22-14-generic
(buildd@terranova) (gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu
4.1.2-16ubuntu2)) #1 SMP Fri Feb 1 04:59:50 UTC 2008".

The installation seemed to be fine, and the computer boots up without
any apparent problems, but generally dies mysteriously within 2 to 120
minutes.

Symptoms: the gdm login screen freezes, and sometimes the caps lock
and scroll lock lights blink. Not very informative, so I left it on a
virtual console and found the following at the end of the error
output:

EIP: [<c02f3f91>] _spin_lock+0x1/0x10 SS:ESP 0068 c3867eb4
Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

I've tried booting with "acpi=off", "noapic" and both options.

I'd be grateful for any further suggestions for getting it to stay
running!

Thanks,
Adam

Zach 02-12-2008 10:34 PM

Kernel panics on Asrock K7VT2.

This really sounds like a hardware problem including one (or more) of:
Heat problem
memory problem
power supply problem.

You might try booting from the livecd and running memtest. Also you
might try, from the livecd, running folding@home (see the ubuntu wiki
for more info) to stress your system.