Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Luca Ferrari

Default problems with smbmount in /etc/fstab

Hi all,
I'm using ubuntu 7.1 but I've got a few problems with the following entry in
the /etc/fstab file:

//g2nas9/camera_oscura /backup/mammuth smbfs
username=backup,password=backup,ip=192.168.1.209 0 0

That should mount at the boot the samba share, but it does not. In particular
if I manually execute:
mount /backup/mammuth
I can mount the share, but any idea on why it is not mounted at the boot?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:55:31PM +0100, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> I'm using ubuntu 7.1

I assume you mean Ubuntu 7.10.

> but I've got a few problems with the following entry in
> the /etc/fstab file:
>
> //g2nas9/camera_oscura /backup/mammuth smbfs
> username=backup,password=backup,ip=192.168.1.209 0 0
>
> That should mount at the boot the samba share, but it does not. In particular
> if I manually execute:
> mount /backup/mammuth
> I can mount the share, but any idea on why it is not mounted at the boot?

This appears to be a bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/46516
Network filesystems are not automatically mounted on boot.

Marius Gedminas
--
Anybody who doesn't cut his speed at the sight of a police car is
probably parked.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Luca Ferrari

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 Marius Gedminas's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:55:31PM +0100, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> > I'm using ubuntu 7.1
>
> I assume you mean Ubuntu 7.10.

What's the difference?

> This appears to be a bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/46516
> Network filesystems are not automatically mounted on boot.

Thanks, but the bug seems to be reported of 2006, so I believe it has been
fixed. Moreover, it refers to NFS, not SMB, so I guess my problem is
different.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 09:21 +0100, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2008 Marius Gedminas's cat, walking on the keyboard,
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:55:31PM +0100, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> > > I'm using ubuntu 7.1
> >
> > I assume you mean Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> What's the difference?

The biggest difference is that Ubuntu 7.1 never existed. The release
numbers refer to the year and month of release, so by dropping a 0 you
are referring to a non-existent version. 7.10 refers to the version
released in the 10th month of 2007.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Derek Broughton

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 February 2008 Marius Gedminas's cat, walking on the
> keyboard, wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:55:31PM +0100, Luca Ferrari wrote:
>> > I'm using ubuntu 7.1
>>
>> I assume you mean Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> What's the difference?
>
>> This appears to be a bug: https://launchpad.net/bugs/46516
>> Network filesystems are not automatically mounted on boot.
>
> Thanks, but the bug seems to be reported of 2006, so I believe it has been
> fixed.

Not unless it's actually marked "Fixed"

> Moreover, it refers to NFS, not SMB, so I guess my problem is
> different.

Why? SMB and NFS mounts are performed in the same script at boot time
(obviously, while non-network mounts can be done early in the boot process,
network mounts have to be deferred until the network's up).
--
derek

Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
NoOp

On 02/12/2008 08:55 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using ubuntu 7.1 but I've got a few problems with the following entry in
> the /etc/fstab file:
>
> //g2nas9/camera_oscura /backup/mammuth smbfs
> username=backup,password=backup,ip=192.168.1.209 0 0
>
> That should mount at the boot the samba share, but it does not. In particular
> if I manually execute:
> mount /backup/mammuth
> I can mount the share, but any idea on why it is not mounted at the boot?
>

> Thanks,
> Luca

Perhaps this will help:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ComprehensiveSambaGuide