Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Heinrich Rebehn

Default Solved: Hardy: HAL kills my network

Rashkae wrote:
> Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have a problem with network connectivity on hardy alpha 4.
>> I configured my machine as a diskless system with roofs served via NFS.
>> This runs fine, but only if i remove S40hal from /etc/rc2.d.
>> As soon as S40hal get executed, the machine looses connectivity, thereby
>> loosing it's root fs and hangs.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep HAL from touching network interfaces? I do not
>> want to disable HAL completely because of automounting removable devices.
>
> This is probably being caused by Network Manager, which is started from
> the HAL scripts.. (sorry, I forget exactly what directory these are in,
> but should be something that looks like /etc/hal, look for something
> that looks like a an init script link, S##networkmanager, or you can
> simply uninstall the network manager from your packages)

Thank you for your help! In the meantime i was able to solve the problem
myself be removing the NetworkManager entries from /etc/dbus-1/event.d.

Regards,

Heinrich

Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Rashkae

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with network connectivity on hardy alpha 4.
>>> I configured my machine as a diskless system with roofs served via NFS.
>>> This runs fine, but only if i remove S40hal from /etc/rc2.d.
>>> As soon as S40hal get executed, the machine looses connectivity, thereby
>>> loosing it's root fs and hangs.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to keep HAL from touching network interfaces? I do not
>>> want to disable HAL completely because of automounting removable devices.
>> This is probably being caused by Network Manager, which is started from
>> the HAL scripts.. (sorry, I forget exactly what directory these are in,
>> but should be something that looks like /etc/hal, look for something
>> that looks like a an init script link, S##networkmanager, or you can
>> simply uninstall the network manager from your packages)
>>

> Thank you for your help! In the meantime i was able to solve the problem
> myself be removing the NetworkManager entries from /etc/dbus-1/event.d.

Err, those were the ones I mean, sorry, confused Hal with dbus. (Yeah, I
know, I shouldn't answer technical questions before first coffee). Glad
you got it working despite the incompetent help.