Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Default HDD / Partition reorganization / IM-possible !?

Hello Ubuntu Experts and Users
Hope it's not off topic here because it's more the WIN part of the
system !

After swapping / upgrading to a bigger HDD with the originally
recovered
WIN XP Pro, we want to install Ubuntu 7.10 to that system too !!

The new HDD is 80GB and the WIN partition (C shall be shrunk to ca
25GB
to leave a fair rest for a shared D: FAT 32 partition and some more then
for
the Ubuntu installation !!!

Unfortunately the C: partition gets shrunk to 40 GB and
does not go even lower as wanted !! ;-(

What can or must I do to get it done properly ?
Tools already used to shrink were: Partition Magic 8.x and DFSee !!

Will a Linux / Ubuntu tool from its CD do the needed task and
how do I as Ubuntu newbie ???

Your advice and (cookbook) guidance is very appreciated. ;-)
TIA for your help, cheers, svobi

Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Daniele

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Hi Daniele
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion !

Of course I have checked the usage of that partition and
I had defragmented it a few times already !!

Only about little more than 10GB is used out of 40GB but
there are some "green marked" system data in midst of that
partition which seem to block further shrinking/s !!!

It looks like I need to backup the whole partition and
restore it back to the smalled partition ???

Is this correct ??

TIA for further hints and suggestions, cheers
svobi

Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Gerald Dachs

Quoting SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>:

> Hi Daniele
> Thanks for your feedback and suggestion !
>
> Of course I have checked the usage of that partition and
> I had defragmented it a few times already !!
>
> Only about little more than 10GB is used out of 40GB but
> there are some "green marked" system data in midst of that
> partition which seem to block further shrinking/s !!!

I am not sure but I believe you will end with installing windows
again into a smaller partition.

I have question to you. For what do you use question marks and
exclamation points so excessive?

Gerald

"Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind."
(Terry Pratchett)

Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Gerald Dachs

Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Daniele

> Only about little more than 10GB is used out of 40GB but
> there are some "green marked" system data in midst of that
> partition which seem to block further shrinking/s !!!

They may be system files which are in use by windows and so cannot be moved,
if you use the live cd I suggested you won't have such problems as
windows won't be running.
In any case save a copy of your data before repartitioning.

best,
Daniele

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Tue 12 Feb 2008 08:33:36 Daniele wrote:

> If so, give GParted a try, is a very small partitioning tool which
> comes with an iso file that you can burn to a cd and boot from there.
> GParted lets you partition your hdd very easily and quickly.
> http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/

Isn't gparted the partitioner in the ubuntu install cd/dvd? The OP shouldn't
need the extra CD to do this, unless the CD you mention is a newer version,
or has extra functionality.

regards
FF

Old 02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 14:03 +0100, Daniele wrote:
> > Only about little more than 10GB is used out of 40GB but
> > there are some "green marked" system data in midst of that
> > partition which seem to block further shrinking/s !!!
> >

> They may be system files which are in use by windows and so cannot be moved,
> if you use the live cd I suggested you won't have such problems as
> windows won't be running.
> In any case save a copy of your data before repartitioning.
>
> best, Daniele

Hi Daniele
With DFSee I did shrink from 80GB to max 40GB and
it was the same condition you just mentioned now:
Windows wasn't running !

Is gparted really working differently ?

I am just downloading and then burning the CD and
will give a try as soon as possible. ;-)

Thank you & cheers, svobi

Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Karl Larsen

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> On Tue 12 Feb 2008 08:33:36 Daniele wrote:
>

>> If so, give GParted a try, is a very small partitioning tool which
>> comes with an iso file that you can burn to a cd and boot from there.
>> GParted lets you partition your hdd very easily and quickly.
>> http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/
>>

> Isn't gparted the partitioner in the ubuntu install cd/dvd? The OP shouldn't
> need the extra CD to do this, unless the CD you mention is a newer version,
> or has extra functionality.
>
> regards
> FF

What does gparted do that you can't with the linux 'fdisk'? I have
been using that software a long time and it just works :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User