Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 AM
James Takac

Default printer software

Hi Guys

Am wondering if there's some software equivalent of fineprint for ubuntu.
Basically it allows one to print so you can fit up to 8 pages per side of
paper, as booklets, etc

James

Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 AM
"Gernot Hassenpflug"

On Feb 12, 2008 5:02 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Am wondering if there's some software equivalent of fineprint for ubuntu.
> Basically it allows one to print so you can fit up to 8 pages per side of
> paper, as booklets, etc
>
> James

From the command line psnup will do that.

For general use, if you use the kdeprint dialog from KPDF or
KGhostscript you have the ability to choose many pages per sheet out
output paper (also the poster filter to do the opposite). If you use
GNOME, install kdeprint and use that instead of lpr in your
application to get the kdeprint dialog box even in GNOME.

HTH, Gernot

Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Peter Schwenke

JHi James,

ames Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Am wondering if there's some software equivalent of fineprint for ubuntu.
> Basically it allows one to print so you can fit up to 8 pages per side of
> paper, as booklets, etc

Take a peek at the psutils (psnup command) and a2ps (a2ps command)
packages.

--
...Peter

Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
James Takac

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 18:35:40 Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 5:02 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > Am wondering if there's some software equivalent of fineprint for ubuntu.
> > Basically it allows one to print so you can fit up to 8 pages per side of
> > paper, as booklets, etc
> >
> > James
>
> From the command line psnup will do that.
>
> For general use, if you use the kdeprint dialog from KPDF or
> KGhostscript you have the ability to choose many pages per sheet out
> output paper (also the poster filter to do the opposite). If you use
> GNOME, install kdeprint and use that instead of lpr in your
> application to get the kdeprint dialog box even in GNOME.
>
> HTH, Gernot

Hi Gernot

How does one then swap lpr for kdeprint? I haven't seen anywhere I can do so
in the apps I use so far or from the system menu

James

Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 AM
"Gernot Hassenpflug"

On Feb 12, 2008 7:05 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 February 2008 18:35:40 Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 5:02 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Guys
> > >
> > > Am wondering if there's some software equivalent of fineprint for ubuntu.
> > > Basically it allows one to print so you can fit up to 8 pages per side of
> > > paper, as booklets, etc
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > From the command line psnup will do that.
> >
> > For general use, if you use the kdeprint dialog from KPDF or
> > KGhostscript you have the ability to choose many pages per sheet out
> > output paper (also the poster filter to do the opposite). If you use
> > GNOME, install kdeprint and use that instead of lpr in your
> > application to get the kdeprint dialog box even in GNOME.
> >
> > HTH, Gernot
>

> Hi Gernot
>
> How does one then swap lpr for kdeprint? I haven't seen anywhere I can do so
> in the apps I use so far or from the system menu

I do not know how to do that system-wide, since presumably there is
still no intermediate "print" function that applications call.
Instead, you will probably have to set that for each application. For
instance, in xpdf, if you replace lpr -Pprintername etc. with kprinter
-Pprintername etc. then you will get the KDE print dialog coming up
with printername selected but others available as usual. One more
level of control.

Same with emacs settings for the printer command.

Maybe you can configure kprinter as a drop-in replacement for lpr
(soft link?) but I don't know if all options are equivalent.

Cheers, Gernot

Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
James Takac

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 20:35:39 Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 7:05 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > From the command line psnup will do that.
> > >
> > > For general use, if you use the kdeprint dialog from KPDF or
> > > KGhostscript you have the ability to choose many pages per sheet out
> > > output paper (also the poster filter to do the opposite). If you use
> > > GNOME, install kdeprint and use that instead of lpr in your
> > > application to get the kdeprint dialog box even in GNOME.
> > >
> > > HTH, Gernot
> >
> > Hi Gernot
> >
> > How does one then swap lpr for kdeprint? I haven't seen anywhere I can do
> > so in the apps I use so far or from the system menu
>
> I do not know how to do that system-wide, since presumably there is
> still no intermediate "print" function that applications call.
> Instead, you will probably have to set that for each application. For
> instance, in xpdf, if you replace lpr -Pprintername etc. with kprinter
> -Pprintername etc. then you will get the KDE print dialog coming up
> with printername selected but others available as usual. One more
> level of control.
>
> Same with emacs settings for the printer command.
>
> Maybe you can configure kprinter as a drop-in replacement for lpr
> (soft link?) but I don't know if all options are equivalent.
>
> Cheers, Gernot

Hi Gernot

Well, I found page-crush in the repos which is a front end for pnsup. Just
seems a lil long winded to print to a file first, then use page-crush to
reprint to another file, then print that file. But at least it dose what I'm
looking for

James

Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
James Takac

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
steve

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
steve

Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
"Gernot Hassenpflug"

On Feb 12, 2008 9:07 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 February 2008 20:35:39 Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> > > Hi Gernot
> > >
> > > How does one then swap lpr for kdeprint? I haven't seen anywhere I can do
> > > so in the apps I use so far or from the system menu
> >
> > I do not know how to do that system-wide, since presumably there is
> > still no intermediate "print" function that applications call.
> > Instead, you will probably have to set that for each application. For
> > instance, in xpdf, if you replace lpr -Pprintername etc. with kprinter
> > -Pprintername etc. then you will get the KDE print dialog coming up
> > with printername selected but others available as usual. One more
> > level of control.
> >
> > Same with emacs settings for the printer command.
> >
> > Maybe you can configure kprinter as a drop-in replacement for lpr
> > (soft link?) but I don't know if all options are equivalent.
> >
> > Cheers, Gernot
>

> Hi Gernot
>
> Well, I found page-crush in the repos which is a front end for pnsup. Just
> seems a lil long winded to print to a file first, then use page-crush to
> reprint to another file, then print that file. But at least it dose what I'm
> looking for

You did not say what application you are printing from. Some, like
poor firefox, insist on doing their own thing. But others that can use
the kprinter dialog, should all give the option of printing X number
of pages on one page. That is something that the printing system
should simply handle that way (with ghostscript doing the manual
work), you do not need psnup unless the application does not give you
access to kprinter. Then you need to print to a file (PDF or PS),
convert to PS if necessary and use psnup (or page-crush) and then send
to a printer.

Hope that helps, Gernot